• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice from proficiemt glock shooters/instructors

DaveTheMinion

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
94   1
Reaction score
I'm gonna catch so much **** for this, but I need help. Much of my dryfire has exposed why I pull right/left. I shoot from reset on exhale with the tip of my finger about centered over the trigger. Thumbs forward, grip high. Tried isosceles instead of Weaver and it still yields the Sam's results. Once the trigger clicks back into reset and I pull back slowly that wall slams into my finger. I begin slowly applying pressure increasing slowly but once it breaks MT front sight bobs around. Not very much, but at 15 yards that 8th inch of quiver is embarrassing. At 3-5 yards I can land two rounds in nearly the same hole and tear a ragged ass hole, but stepped off to 15 yards... eh. Not so Buenos. I'm use to single action and still learning the glock trigger. Ordered a 3.5lb. Connector and spring kit but don't want to compensate for my errors. Trigger finger doesn't ride on the frame, just curious what you would reccomend. More dry fire to get use to the trigger?

more classes lol

Seriously though, get some dummy rounds and keep dry firing, slowly until the "shot" surprises you, then re-rack the slide, release the trigger slowly until you feel the reset and pull again, it's easier having someone else rack the slide for you. Then, go to the range and shoot, but load your mags "blindly" so you will not know when you squeeze the trigger if it is live or a dummy round.

Also, it is so simple yet effective, give your index finger a "work out', find something to provide resistance and do finger curls, this will help build up muscle in the finger it's self and reduce movement through your extrinsic muscle in your forearm and hand

I have also heard from others 'stick your finger in there that aint no sniper rifle' seriously what helped me was take a spent case set it on the slide near muzzle and see if you can pull the trigger without shellcase falling off.

The ball and dummy drill (aka random live vs dummy round) is a great way to work on trigger control. That being said, it works best if you are doing slow fire, accuracy practice. If shooting at speed, you are going to have somewhat of a flinch from anticipation of recoil.

Dry-firing with the case on top of the slide and then ultimately on top of the front sight without the case falling is an excellent dry-fire drill.

One thing to look for is to see if you are pulling straight through the trigger pull instead of letting your finger cam over on the trigger.

Even with an understanding of all of that, you need to work on your mental game. Think positive, focus on the task at hand. If you start thinking 15 yards is a long shot, that you'll do crappy, etc, don't be surprised when it happen.

Other than that, I'd seek out training from someone that knows what they're doing.

That's actually a really good trick. Seriously though it's all about being able to manipulate the trigger smoothly and consistently so that you remain on target. It really depends on whether your pulling it because you're anticipating the click or if you're pulling it because it's to hard on your finger to pull it smoothly so that you have to jerk it.

If it's the former then you need to just practice more until you get over it but if it's the latter it sounds like maybe some hand/forearm strengthening exercises might help also. (though the lighter disconnector will help)

I have also heard from others 'stick your finger in there that aint no sniper rifle' seriously what helped me was take a spent case set it on the slide near muzzle and see if you can pull the trigger without shellcase falling off.

I'm gonna catch so much **** for this, but I need help. Much of my dryfire has exposed why I pull right/left. I shoot from reset on exhale with the tip of my finger about centered over the trigger. Thumbs forward, grip high. Tried isosceles instead of Weaver and it still yields the Sam's results. Once the trigger clicks back into reset and I pull back slowly that wall slams into my finger. I begin slowly applying pressure increasing slowly but once it breaks MT front sight bobs around. Not very much, but at 15 yards that 8th inch of quiver is embarrassing. At 3-5 yards I can land two rounds in nearly the same hole and tear a ragged ass hole, but stepped off to 15 yards... eh. Not so Buenos. I'm use to single action and still learning the glock trigger. Ordered a 3.5lb. Connector and spring kit but don't want to compensate for my errors. Trigger finger doesn't ride on the frame, just curious what you would reccomend. More dry fire to get use to the trigger?

15 yards or 15 feet?
Many people get the 2 confused. The average indoor range is only 60 ft. I believe.
15 yards is 45 feet.

What Will says +1. Just gotta keep working. Like yourself I'm pretty good in close with a "safe trigger", I've even extended my range out to feeling confident of good hits, fairly quickly at 7-10yds. Shot my first outdoors IDPA match yesterday and past 10yds I completely missed either the 6" head or the 8" center mass circle at least 30% of the time. The sight picture and trigger press that worked in close just wasn't good enough a little further out.

more classes lol

Seriously though, get some dummy rounds and keep dry firing, slowly until the "shot" surprises you, then re-rack the slide, release the trigger slowly until you feel the reset and pull again, it's easier having someone else rack the slide for you. Then, go to the range and shoot, but load your mags "blindly" so you will not know when you squeeze the trigger if it is live or a dummy round.

Also, it is so simple yet effective, give your index finger a "work out', find something to provide resistance and do finger curls, this will help build up muscle in the finger it's self and reduce movement through your extrinsic muscle in your forearm and hand

Will, do you sell any miniature bar-bells for the index finger curls??

Just kidding, +1 on the dry fire practice w/ dummy rounds. It helps.

Back
Top Bottom