• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice from proficiemt glock shooters/instructors

more classes lol

Seriously though, get some dummy rounds and keep dry firing, slowly until the "shot" surprises you, then re-rack the slide, release the trigger slowly until you feel the reset and pull again, it's easier having someone else rack the slide for you. Then, go to the range and shoot, but load your mags "blindly" so you will not know when you squeeze the trigger if it is live or a dummy round.

Also, it is so simple yet effective, give your index finger a "work out', find something to provide resistance and do finger curls, this will help build up muscle in the finger it's self and reduce movement through your extrinsic muscle in your forearm and hand
I'm doing a dryfire routine I just started Friday but I am going to start off working on trigger squeeze first and do so until the muzzle doesn't Bob around at all. Its getting much much better although fatigue sets in within 10 minutes so I mist be working some muscles dryfiring LOL. I think most of my issues are fatigue from holding the pistol as well as recoil so I'm definitley going to be doing many dryfire drills to compensate for the fact I can't go shooting all the time. Will, let me ask your opinion on one of my drills. The glock grip angle takes some getting use to, from a draw my sights aren't aligned up just yet. I'm also practicing drawing, acquiring a sight picture, and reholstering. Aside from taking your intermediate course in a couple weeks, do you think that will speed up my times shooting from the draw?

I'm doing a dryfire routine I just started Friday but I am going to start off working on trigger squeeze first and do so until the muzzle doesn't Bob around at all. Its getting much much better although fatigue sets in within 10 minutes so I mist be working some muscles dryfiring LOL. I think most of my issues are fatigue from holding the pistol as well as recoil so I'm definitley going to be doing many dryfire drills to compensate for the fact I can't go shooting all the time. Will, let me ask your opinion on one of my drills. The glock grip angle takes some getting use to, from a draw my sights aren't aligned up just yet. I'm also practicing drawing, acquiring a sight picture, and reholstering. Aside from taking your intermediate course in a couple weeks, do you think that will speed up my times shooting from the draw?

You can do what everyone else here has said and if you don't lock out those arms and squeeze the trigger you will continue to get the same results.

Also from 15 yards and closer you may want to try straight point shooting if you are drawing from carry and shooting otherwise you will develop a training scar looking for sights at that range. Minute of bad guy is all you should be shooting for at ccw ranges. If you drop back betond 15 yards then yes, by all means get a good sight picture.

do you think that will speed up my times shooting from the draw?
Eventually. The main thing is to make all your motions as good as you can. Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice does. Good grip on the draw, good joining of hands, drive straight out to a good sight picture and smooth trigger press. Take it as slow as you need to make sure all the components are there. Work on individual components as needed. When you can do 10 complete reps with everything in place, speed up a little. As soon as something doesn't work right, slow down until it does. 10-20 mins, 3 times a week will get you there (in six months you will be amazed).

Also from 15 yards and closer you may want to try straight point shooting if you are drawing from carry and shooting otherwise you will develop a training scar looking for sights at that range. Minute of bad guy is all you should be shooting for at ccw ranges. If you drop back betond 15 yards then yes, by all means get a good sight picture.

Good advice....anything under 15 yds is point and shoot territory.

Back
Top Bottom