• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Advice Needed! New rifle doesn't like Ammo

I’ve had excellent accuracy from Fusions on multiple rifles and calibers. Wouldn’t hurt to try some 150’s or 175’s

I always try 5-6 different weights and types of ammo on a new rifle until I find what it likes. The last browning I had really liked .308 Winchester silver tips 168 gr. It shoots very tight groups in almost every gun I run it in. My Remington model 7 seems to like 180 gr core loks better than the rest. Every barrel is different. Try some different loads, and if you still have problems check your scope and rings, and work backwards from there.

So I figured out what the problem was. First thing I tried was different ammo. I cleaned the barrel with some copper solvent and went to my spot to shoot. I had another box of 165 grain Federal Fusions and I picked up a cheap box of Hornady American Whitetail 150 grain interlocks. A friend also gave me 6 -180 grain Core-Lokts. Tried all 3 with the same results. 3 inch groups at 50 yards. I then took an older Leupold VX1 off my wife’s deer rifle and tried it out on my new Browning. The mounts on my new gun we’re fine and everything was tight. The gun grouped great with the VX1. Hard to believe I got a bad Leupold VX-3i from the factory but that seems to be the issue. Thanks for all of the advice y’all.

Attachments

• 16698EF8-8FD0-4C0A-B19D-2A6E1D2BBF82.jpeg
    16698EF8-8FD0-4C0A-B19D-2A6E1D2BBF82.jpeg
    20.8 KB · Views: 12
So I figured out what the problem was. First thing I tried was different ammo. I cleaned the barrel with some copper solvent and went to my spot to shoot. I had another box of 165 grain Federal Fusions and I picked up a cheap box of Hornady American Whitetail 150 grain interlocks. A friend also gave me 6 -180 grain Core-Lokts. Tried all 3 with the same results. 3 inch groups at 50 yards. I then took an older Leupold VX1 off my wife’s deer rifle and tried it out on my new Browning. The mounts on my new gun we’re fine and everything was tight. The gun grouped great with the VX1. Hard to believe I got a bad Leupold VX-3i from the factory but that seems to be the issue. Thanks for all of the advice y’all.
Nah, that's standard for Leupold for the past decade.

I'd be contacting Leopold about this. They're usually top notch, but sometimes the qc department misses one.

Back
Top Bottom