Advice on getting started reloading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mugsy

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
16   0
Reaction score
I like to shoot but it pretty costly so I have thought more and more about reloading.
However, I have no background in it and don't know how to get started.

From you old hands - how would you recommend going about starting to load, let's say, 9mm or .38 spl targets rounds?
- How much initial money does one have to invest
- Do you need dedicated space (beyond a cleaning/repair desk)?
- What are basic pieces of equipment?
- Good first-timer's book to guide one through the process?
- Best place to get supplies?

Bottom line - how do I start?

VR,

Mugsy

Last edited:
I have found that reloading will not pay off for a long while, the equipment and materials are expensive and its addictive, when reloading its really best for accuracy. I reload for any rifle that does not group tight with factory ammo. If it will group with factory ammo I just buy factory ammo. I guess over time it does come out cheaper but I have not really broke it down.

Good reading right here on the forum:
http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/sh...-exchange-for-some-reloading-knowledge./page2

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/showthread.php?30081-Newbie-questions

From an earlier Post, I don't load 9mm personally but:

Shop, shop, shop or Swap Swap Swap, your supplies or accessories, buy new, on sale, buy used, Trade. I have very little cash money invested in my equipment, just had the right deals at the right times. Pick a little up here or there at a time, upgrade when you can. I load alot of different calibers, cost savings depending on what your loading will vary. Depending on what or how I'm loading, Example - I can load for my.30 carbine at approx .20-.25 per round or $10-12.00 per box 50, .38spl .09 ea. or $5.00 for 50, .44 mag .12-.15 ea. or $7.50 per 50., 30.06 .35 ea. or $7.00 box 20 these are hunting rounds. These are just examples of a few that I load, you can go higher or lower depending on your cost of supplies that your loading for. My carbine loads are even less right now because I just swapped for 500 bullets so I have nothing in the cost of the bullets. Shop, Trade, Purchase when you have to. Most of the time I only purchase Powder & Primers. No brass and few bullets.
ABOVE ALL HAVE FUN SHOOTING THEM!!!!

Personally I'd go with a LEE Classic Turret Press you can get them in Kit form also, and with most of the common accessories around the same price $107.00 +/- depending on the setup. Very upgradable for future accessories. MidwayUSA.com, Cheaperthandirt.com,, etc.

Prime example here is some of what we picked up at the range (2/20/11) yesterday 700 -.223, 900 -.45acp, 300+ 9mm, 140 -.40, 37 -30.06, 28 -.450 Bushmaster, 14 -30/30, 48 -.380, 88 -.10mm and a couple this and that. 90% of this brass I'll clean up and either Sell off or Trade for Items I need. Already getting cleaned and ready to list.

i52.tinypic.com_2dcc1g6.jpg

Last edited:
if you are just wanting to reload 9mm, 38 or 223 it's not that much more $$ than just finding good deals on ammo around town. I know Ed's pawn south of town was selling remington 9mm 115gr for $100/500 rounds. I can hardly reload it for that price. But if I want 147gr HP subsonics, I can reload them for a lot less that buying them.

And if you shoot any "odd" calibers, the cost savings goes up dramatically. I checked the other day and a box of 50 218 Bee rounds was like $80. I can reload my brass for about $30 for 100 rounds. much less expensive.

and it's time consuming. but if you have time and don't mind playing with it, it's a great way to save money in the long run.

if you are just wanting to reload 9mm, 38 or 223 it's not that much more $$ than just finding good deals on ammo around town. I know Ed's pawn south of town was selling remington 9mm 115gr for $100/500 rounds. I can hardly reload it for that price. But if I want 147gr HP subsonics, I can reload them for a lot less that buying them.

And if you shoot any "odd" calibers, the cost savings goes up dramatically. I checked the other day and a box of 50 218 Bee rounds was like $80. I can reload my brass for about $30 for 100 rounds. much less expensive.

and it's time consuming. but if you have time and don't mind playing with it, it's a great way to save money in the long run.

+1 to all of this. For me, neither 9mm or .223 make any sense to reload. For my .32 Mag, .45 colt, and rifle ammo it makes complete sense.

The best way to start is *slowly* to get used to what is going on at each stage. Once you've done it for a while, them move up to progressive for your high-volume rounds.

Stalk midwayusa sales and clearances. I slowly pick up little extra tools here and there that way.

For a press, look at the Lee reconditioned presses on their website. I've got a reconditioned single stage and I would swear it was brand new. It's great for the non-mass produced rounds that I have a Dillon for.

I am also new but I started with a Lee turret press I bought used but in excellent condition off another site. It is simple and slow enough for a beginner but also lets you set up the different dies so you can take a cleaned and primed case to a finished product without having to change out your dies. Good luck and happy shooting.

I am also new but I started with a Lee turret press I bought used but in excellent condition off another site. It is simple and slow enough for a beginner but also lets you set up the different dies so you can take a cleaned and primed case to a finished product without having to change out your dies. Good luck and happy shooting.

+1 ^^^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom