• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Aging trail cameras?

GeauxLSU

Default rank 5000+ posts
Corn Pop
Staff member
Super Moderator
63   0
Reaction score
Where the stars at night are big and bright.
I've had a variety of trail cameras, generally the more common/big names (Leaf River, Moultrie, Bushnell, Scoutguard, Covert etc...) and EVERY SINGLE ONE has done the same thing. New out of the box, awesome performance, then over time they.... "slow down". It's the rare exception they actually break or just go dead. They just start to sense less and the trigger speed slows down. I don't realize it until I get a new one and put them side by side. Happening again. I bought a new Browning for Christmas and it's hanging in the backyard next to a Bushnell that I think is now three years old. Last two nights the new camera has gotten coyotes and deer and the Bushnell has gotten nothing. Even when I walked right in front of the camera twice, the older camera flat out did nothing once and triggered well after I was out of the frame the other time. Who knows what I've been missing. Very frustrating.
I guess they are supposed to be relatively disposable but I almost wished they just go belly up rather than wondering how much they are 'working'.

Am I just lucky or have any of you experienced the same?

I am not familiar with any of the trail cams. Do they have a sensitivity setting on them? Does the old one have fresh batteries?
Some do allow manual adjustment to the PIR (sensor), some don't. Both of cameras I mentioned have brand new batteries and the older cam was set to the highest sensor setting 2 days ago.

been running coverts for years and never any issues, you may just be unlucky on those. of every other brand i've used, yea i've had some give up the ghost. Stealth cams had short lives but outlasted the moultrie and wild game.

been running coverts for years and never any issues, you may just be unlucky on those. of every other brand i've used, yea i've had some give up the ghost. Stealth cams had short lives but outlasted the moultrie and wild game.
Again, they 'work' and I'd never know how poorly they were performing if I didn't get a new camera and compare side by side. It's just frustrating as I keep mine out year round.
I'm about to have a drawer full of cameras that "work, but not really".

Mine don't like the very wet weather we have every fall. First they do "slow" or don't capture, then they start losing any IR / Night picture ability, then the color goes completely. For me the Primos has lasted the longest (about 2 1/2 to 3 years). But it gets wet inside the box and I've had to replace the 8-AA battery pack holder due to corrosion.

And, you are soooo correct, it is very, very frustrating.

I got a new moultrie for xmas. Dumped a bag of apples and corn just to see if anything coming through seeing as I've seen squat this year. Next day apples are gone and I got 18 pics of nothing. The camera pointed right at the pile...chewed apples looking like cow cud. Wtf moultrie.

Back
Top Bottom