• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Aging trail cameras?

I have one of those high tech security systems. My camera looks at my back door 25/7. It is a Bushnell and has started leaking. I have taken it apart cleaned the mating surface and put light coating of petroleum jelly around mating surface.
With all the rain, it still leaks. I may have to make it a small cover of some sort.

I am convinced that most all electronics have an obsolete switch hidden in the works that trips at some point after the warranty expires. I found my lost fujinon camera today in a cabinet in a dry, controlled atmosphere room. It has been lost for about 6years. It is about a 13 year old camera, (ancient for digital I guess) not a cheap one. Took really great pictures and worked fine when it went missing. New batteries in, booted right up, displayed photos that were on the card. Would not take a photo, somewhere between the lense and display/memory card, something is fried.

I've heard that the Reconyx cameras hold up pretty well, but most people can't really afford $500+ per unit. No personal experience with them however. All the other brands seem to be pretty hit or miss on reliability and how long they last even when not left out year round.

Back
Top Bottom