• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Aguila Brass Report.....

jcountry

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
13   0
Reaction score
Well, I gave it a try.

I have so far reloaded a bunch of winchester and federal 45 ACP brass for my Glock 21 without any trouble.

I thought I would try a few Aguila rounds. I have come to the conclusion that this brass is crap.

When I get the taper crimp adjusted so that it takes the expansion bell out, the brass will wrinkle and bulge. When I back off on the crimp enough so that the brass won't bulge, the bell is still there.

I am using high quality sierra bullets and a brand new Hornady die set which has worked flawlessly.

The only conclusion I can draw is that this brass is just way too soft. I am trashing it. Appears to be non-reloadable crap.

This is not my brass-but it was doing exactly the same thing with me:

IMAG0488.jpg

Last edited:
I have not reloaded any of this Aguila brass. That sucks, what did the case length mic out at?

.896 to .897.

The others (winchester and federal) are slightly shorter at .892 and .890, but I tried adjusting the die every which way I could. Kept getting crushed.

I think I will try seating and crimping separtely-just to save some primers, but I am not going anywhere near Aquila again. This 50 rounds has just been a mess.

I have 9mm Aguila brass that I have used 8-10x and it is going strong. I have about 500 of them and haven't tossed one.

A little trick I learned years ago using crappy 45 ACP brass. Do you have a sizing die in 30-06; 270; 8mm Mauser; 7.65 Arg? If you do set your 45ACP die to remove most of the bell then carefully run you 45 ACP up in the 30-06 etc, sizing die just a little ways. Just enough to straighten out the rest lf the bell. Good Luck and Enjoy.

Haven't noticed anything particularly wrong with it in my .45, but I don't separate by headstamp just large and small primer. Never seen anything like what is pictured...

I have also loaded aguila brass for 45ACP and have never seen this? Not saying it's not the brass, but for the bulges to be in the same place leads me down the road of something else being the culprit?

Edit: If the brass is not all about the same length and you have set the die up to crimp a shorter case this can happen. Also if the case is longer too much flare can be applied to the case mouth resulting in what you describe. I have not used Hornady dies a lot, but if I rememeber they are not designed not to over flare where the case will not "crumple" when going into the seater die. Was the brass hard to go into the seater die?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom