• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

AK Fans + Upgrades

AK purists crack me up! I did a “ride along” with OMON in Moscow. All those guys are veterans, and most are former Spetsnatz. They were all using some version of the AK-74, and they had a lot of leeway in how they had them set up.

Every AK I saw in their hands had some sort of RDS and flashlight on it. All had slings and very few ran the military-style sling.

Every single one had an “aftermarket” stock/PG/handguard on it. Stocks with adjustable LOP were the norm. Them boys work in a wide array of temperatures, so it makes sense to have an adjustable stock to make up for variances in clothing layers and body armor.

You know what I didn’t see on a single gun? Wood. Not a wood stock or handguard to be seen. I don’t remember seeing Bakelite either......maybe in some magazines.

American AK owners tend to have a lot of purists in their ranks, while the actual Russians running the guns for a living most definitely are NOT. It’s an interesting dichotomy. I think I trust the real Russkies on this one.
Nothing wrong with some updated furniture, or modernizing the AK.

I tend to prefer wood furniture on rifles it was originally designed with. Such as..M1A, Garand, SKS, K98, etc...

Not to say this isn't awesome...

48f368b0aef223ad3ea07dbe6d2f6120.jpg

le32mom3p7k31.jpg

AK purists crack me up! I did a “ride along” with OMON in Moscow. All those guys are veterans, and most are former Spetsnatz. They were all using some version of the AK-74, and they had a lot of leeway in how they had them set up.

Every AK I saw in their hands had some sort of RDS and flashlight on it. All had slings and very few ran the military-style sling.

Every single one had an “aftermarket” stock/PG/handguard on it. Stocks with adjustable LOP were the norm. Them boys work in a wide array of temperatures, so it makes sense to have an adjustable stock to make up for variances in clothing layers and body armor.

You know what I didn’t see on a single gun? Wood. Not a wood stock or handguard to be seen. I don’t remember seeing Bakelite either......maybe in some magazines.

American AK owners tend to have a lot of purists in their ranks, while the actual Russians running the guns for a living most definitely are NOT. It’s an interesting dichotomy. I think I trust the real Russkies on this one.
Know what mags they are using?

Got some plans for the SGL21.... Krebs selector and CMC AK Elite trigger in bound!

Side note: I was on the phone today with Marc Krebs of Krebs Custom...SUPER nice guy and makes me want to buy more of his products. Great conversation from a genuinely nice guy.

View attachment 2635252 View attachment 2635253

The Krebs selector is a nice upgrade. I installed one on the Arsenal I had.

Dah.

Back
Top Bottom