• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ak Guys, tell me about my rifle

T-Roy

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
167   0
Reaction score
Confession, I don't know spit about the AK47. I traded into this one a few years ago on a whim. From what I've read online these are "almost Arsenal" guns made from unfired Bulgarian military rifles on new heavy 1.3mm stamped receivers. (Some were on a 1mm receiver, but everywhere I can get a caliper on this one is over 1mm)

Everything I read says they're great AK's, some of the best made, yada, yada. But I also know about confirmation bias and that it makes Hi Point owners claim their pistol is just as good as a Glock.

I know it shoots good, and the trigger is actually pretty nice. But I don't what it's worth, where it stacks up in the AK world, or really what it is (as far as which AK variant)

Any insight would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 20230715_223831.jpg
    20230715_223831.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20230715_223915.jpg
    20230715_223915.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 20230715_223821.jpg
    20230715_223821.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 20230715_223937.jpg
    20230715_223937.jpg
    157.7 KB · Views: 80
They're very solid AKs. They were specifically made in Bulgaria for the US market. They're Bulgarian milled parts kits built on thicker stamped receivers and new Bulgarian manufactured front trunnions. You don't see many anymore and definitely super solid shooters. I've had a couple of em, both with original Bulgarian barrels, wish I still had one.

They're very solid AKs. They were specifically made in Bulgaria for the US market. They're Bulgarian milled parts kits built on thicker stamped receivers and new Bulgarian manufactured front trunnions. You don't see many anymore and definitely super solid shooters. I've had a couple of em, both with original Bulgarian barrels, wish I still had one.
Good deal. Thanks

I know ISD 74s used US made barrels for import reasons. Not sure about the Akm. Either way they're well built, solid rifles. If you only ever have one as a range gun, it'll do you well

I know ISD 74s used US made barrels for import reasons. Not sure about the Akm. Either way they're well built, solid rifles. If you only ever have one as a range gun, it'll do you well
From some info I did find on my own, on the imported barrels they had to turn off the metric threads to import them, and once they were in the US they threaded them 1/2x28. This one is threaded 1/2×28 and had a non-pinnned 1/2×28 slant brake on it that I have somewhere. So I'm guessing it's an imported (possibly chrome lined from what I've read) barrel.

So is this an AKM? Like if I wanted to get a less janky handguard or a railed dust cover would that be the compatibility I'd look for?

From some info I did find on my own, on the imported barrels they had to turn off the metric threads to import them, and once they were in the US they threaded them 1/2x28. This one is threaded 1/2×28 and had a non-pinnned 1/2×28 slant brake on it that I have somewhere. So I'm guessing it's an imported (possibly chrome lined from what I've read) barrel.

So is this an AKM? Like if I wanted to get a less janky handguard or a railed dust cover would that be the compatibility I'd look for?
Pretty much all ak types have parts compatibility. Look for a matching dust cover and any AK/74/100 series handguard will work. I'm personally a fan of the tech sights dust cover since it adds a peep sight all the way at the rear. Not traditional but it doubles the sight radius

Back
Top Bottom