• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Am I alone in thinking I owe a debt of gratitude to the neckbeards?

palmettomoon

Army Icon Super Lifetime Supporter 1
NRA Life Member Wayne LaPierre & Chris Cox Hater
228   0
Reaction score
I overheard a conversation today about scarcity of .22LR in big box retail stores. Supply is still somewhat scarce for reasonably priced commodity ammunition such as Automatch, Thunderbolt, Winchester White Box, etc., in Middle Georgia. I've heard several store clerks tell me about the same people coming in like clockwork dragging their significant others into the stores at 6 or 7 a.m. to buy up as much .22 ammunition as they are allowed. This ammunition is taken to flea markets and pawn shops around town where the "distributor" can sometimes make a windfall of nearly $6 per box for their troubles.

The inability to purchase cheap 22 ammunition has for me at least been a blessing. I owe these enterprising folks a debt of gratitude. I really feel I do.

You see, three years ago I stopped myself before actually handing over $50 for a 325 count box of Automatch and I thought, "Self? If you are going to pay 15 cents per round for 22, look online to see what 15 cents will get you!"

I did and I discovered a whole different distribution channel that I was not familiar with or accustomed to purchasing from. I started buying and using higher quality ammunition and even went full retard and bought whole case lots so I would maintain consistency in MV. My pistol scores improved more than 7% in matches over a three month period and have stayed up for the past 3 years. I think this is due in large part to the selection of quality ammunition I have available now. I still keep Thunderbolts and Automatch around for 10/22s or to give to kids at the range, but I have been permanently moved into that 11 to 38 cents per round 22 caliber category.

The best part of the scarcity is that it drove me to source powder, bullets, primers, brass, dies, everything I need to load and shoot from a variety of online sources. I will never again be one of the schnooks buying at retail stores and paying retail prices. I have no way of knowing how much money the neckbeards in Middle Georgia have saved me over the past three years but it's been significant.

Am I the only one that feels these people have performed a valuable service by changing purchasing habits? I feel like I can post this now since the "Sandy Hook Panic" has subsided.

I get your point, and it's worked for you, but I despise the people you're talking about. How many kids, (and adults), now don't shoot as often or as much owing their behavior ?

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not working that hard for $6/box.

I could see it for $6 per box if you could buy 2,500 boxes and sell them all quickly but dang. Onesies and twosies and drive all over town to accumulate what, 20 boxes on a good day? $120 per day neckbearding? LOL. Not worth it.

Back
Top Bottom