American Blackout....

Hurricane Andrew devastated Miami. I was living jn Ft Lauderdale at the time and only lost power for 48 hours. A buddy of mine didn't have power in Miami for 2 and a half months.

It's worthy of note that Katrina took out miles of power lines and poles. When you consider that aspect three weeks is a pretty darn good turn-around...

Agreed 100%. Don't get me wrong... The folks in the field do amazing, amazing things in a crisis.

The thing is we do have thousands of miles of cable and posts stockpiled, since those are the things that go. I don't think any power company could replace a sizable fraction of the substation gear with what they have on hand though, and the 'command and control' stuff would be even worse.

Looking forward to this show. Hopefully it's as well done as 'Oil Storm' was back in 2005. That 'documentary' was kind of scary, since they had 'Hurricane Julia' hit NO and take out 85% of the Gulf oil capacity, then about a month later, Katrina hit. Talk about timing.

Last edited:
you couldnt live in half the country for part of the year....SW during the summer...NE during the winter...plus think about everyone on breathing treatments, O2, dialysis, the old, the yong, etc..

People lived in those parts of the country throughout the year long before we had electricity.

Nice. My business is in Buckhead. I deal with them everyday. I don't know how some of them get out of bed without help. Maybe they have help.....:confused:

You ain't kidding...I worked for a interior designer out of Buckhead for 2 years and those twinkle toed rooty poo's did not even know how to use a screwdriver. I'm not exagerating in the slightest, either. If you could do anything, literally, with your hands, you were a genius in their eyes.

You ain't kidding...I worked for a interior designer out of Buckhead for 2 years and those twinkle toed rooty poo's did not even know how to use a screwdriver. I'm not exagerating in the slightest, either. If you could do anything, literally, with your hands, you were a genius in their eyes.

These are the people that will be lunch when the SHTF...

You guys are so lame. Power went out ITP for a week during the last ice storm. We stayed home from work and school, bar-b-q'd, played at the park. Sh !t, we have more food in our "regular" pantry and walk-in freezers than most of you bumble-phooks have in your underground storage trailer! As I recall, It was the cities that were sending rescue crews out to the boon docks to save nana and granpap from freezing to death. LOL! Really, fellas, turning a screw driver? Don't think of yourselves as too high and mighty until reality sets in. You might just be thanking someone that you didn't know.

big difference with the power being out one week as opposed to one year......

Back
Top Bottom