American Blackout....

What I never understand is why so many people think a default to anarchy is the best choice in a SHTF situation. If you are in a VERY remote area and can avoid people all together, it is probably a good thing to avoid people. But the rise of civilizations occurs precisely because it is preferable to share protection, production of goods, etc.

Agreed... one of those "careful what you wish for" situations.

Have to disagree with you on that but I do appreciate your contribution in the spirit of getting a more positive direction for this therad .

Our culture is 100% dependent on electricity at every level.

It was either Sun-Tzu or Musachi that said that an armies greatest strength is often its greatest weakness as well.

The technology that makes our country so formidable in war is also our biggest vulnerability. The same is true of our society. If you use Katrina as a small scale model & review what happened sustained loss of power was catastrophic.

IMO, this show does a pretty decent job of showing events that would follow in such a crisis.

Maybe I am a little too optimistic in my assessment. :)

Katrina was much more than just a power outage. Clearly that contributed to the problems greatly. But the flooding, destruction, and isolation played a big role in that. Had it just been power, they would not have had to evacuate anyone. There still would have been deaths attributable to the lack of power, of course, but nothing like what happened.

What things do you see as the killers from power loss? The biggest I see is the panic. Back in Y2K, I was not worried at all about the predicted collapse, but the reaction people would have to it.

I have been "pitching" group formations for a year now. Some have formed bonds but I seems to me that there is a "lone wolf" mentality. I for one would welcome having someone to help me stand guard, gather wood and water and help with the day to day. Most of us can hit what we aim at (even with someone else's pistol :p) but its the bullet you didn't know was coming from some ass hat that wants to take your food or wife that worries me. A secure perimeter is hard to do by yourself. Just sayin. Btw I'm eatin my neighbors dog first even if I'm not hungry ;).

I have been "pitching" group formations for a year now. Some have formed bonds but I seems to me that there is a "lone wolf" mentality. I for one would welcome having someone to help me stand guard, gather wood and water and help with the day to day. Most of us can hit what we aim at (even with someone else's pistol :p) but its the bullet you didn't know was coming from some ass hat that wants to take your food or wife that worries me. A secure perimeter is hard to do by yourself. Just sayin. Btw I'm eatin my neighbors dog first even if I'm not hungry ;).

This is the best post yet in this thread!!!

My problem is that everyone who shares my mindset in this regard is at least driving distance away from me. Guess I need to make some friends closer by!

Not that I am a zombie apocalypse prepper, but it sure would be nice to know some like minded folks that you can count on in a natural disaster or worse.

Water itself is fairly plentiful here, and I think (hope?) that anyone who has seen 10 minutes of Survivorman could make it safe. Of course, there will be some who don't know. Another example of knowledge being outsourced.

Which is a major part of the problem. People in general, at least to a significant degree are too far removed from having the ability to provide the most basic needs in life.

Knowing how to obtain & insure clean potable water other than turning a faucet
Knowing how to garden
Knowing how to make a fire w/o 2 gallons of gas
Knowing how to start a stubborn engine
Knowing how to preserve food
Knowing how to dispose of waste

My kids are FINALLY getting into hiking & camping so it should be a good opportunity to put those "smartphones" down & get our hands dirty.

It's either that or sell out & buy a farm....

Just curious, Comcast is showing this as a 2006 production. Wonder if it has been sitting on the shelf that long. Editing to ad the current POTUS would have been easy enough. I guess if I knew car year models better it would be easy enough to say.

Which is a major part of the problem. People in general, at least to a significant degree are too far removed from having the ability to provide the most basic needs in life.

Knowing how to obtain & insure clean potable water other than turning a faucet
Knowing how to garden
Knowing how to make a fire w/o 2 gallons of gas
Knowing how to start a stubborn engine
Knowing how to preserve food
Knowing how to dispose of waste

My kids are FINALLY getting into hiking & camping so it should be a good opportunity to put those "smartphones" down & get our hands dirty.

It's either that or sell out & buy a farm....

Wait - I will have to live without my smartphone? Nooooo....... ;)

Night ya'll. And just remember, I am the baddest mother****er in the room and can out survive any of you Nancys in any situation or setting. :rant:

Have to disagree with you on that but I do appreciate your contribution in the spirit of getting a more positive direction for this therad .

Our culture is 100% dependent on electricity at every level.

It was either Sun-Tzu or Musachi that said that an armies greatest strength is often its greatest weakness as well.

The technology that makes our country so formidable in war is also our biggest vulnerability. The same is true of our society. If you use Katrina as a small scale model & review what happened sustained loss of power was catastrophic.

IMO, this show does a pretty decent job of showing events that would follow in such a crisis.

I have to disagree that Katrina was a good example of what might happen during a catastrophic event. Manhattan went underwater and they faired 1000 times better than the fourth ward, and all of their (NY) infrastructure is underground.

Back
Top Bottom