American Blackout....

OK, being cable-free, I was looking on Amazon to see if I could find the show as a rental or purchase. After all, it sounded interesting.

Found it in their TV section, but it didn't look quite right. Then I saw that date was 2006, which definitely seemed weird. Finally, one of the 'actors' names jumped out at me, Cynthia McKinney...

Turns out that she'll probably sue NatGeo for stealing the name of her documentary on how she "...chronicles the recurring patterns of disenfranchisement witnessed from 2000 to 2004...".

Which is why there is a Chattahoochee River between Atlanta and North Georgia. The last ice storm saw people from the rurals coming south to look for shelve items. More recently, with all the flooding this summer, I have found myself at the RC distribution center loading trucks up for, guess who? Rurals. Most likely to run out, most likely to be unprepared, and most likely to get hit with a disaster.

I think you may be confusing "rural" and "suburban".

Ok. Now I really am going to bed.

No, I have not. Western Kentucky is about as far north as I ever wanted to be. :hat: LOL! That scared me enough to go back to Atlanta.

A partner & I did a big development project along the Cumberland river a few years back.
It really was fascinating. There are a few people there that are so isolated that they still have British accents!

I took a long ride down one road once somewhere between Tompkinsville & Burkesville & literally saw a "granny" sitting on her porch smoking a corncob pipe dressed in a long sleeve dress & wearing a bonnet.

It was like something out of a movie. Surreal.

Last edited:
A partner & I did a big development project along the Cumberland river afew years back.
It really was fascinating. There are a few people there that are so isolated that they still have British accents!

I took a long ride down one road once somewhere between Tompkinsville & Burkesville & literally saw a "granny" sitting on her porch smoking a corncob pipe dressed in a long sleeve dress & wearing a bonnet.

Did anyone come out on the front porch with a shotgun? Some of those folks are extremely insular and clannish, strangers are a threat and not really wanted type of thing.

A partner & I did a big development project along the Cumberland river afew years back.

Don't call them "British" to their face!! They are Welsh!

And don't look now! They is a-comin by heal or high water (pun intended)!

http://www.ruralhome.org/storage/research_notes/rrn-race-and-ethnicity-web.pdf

Did anyone come out on the front porch with a shotgun? Some of those folks are extremely insular and clannish, strangers are a threat and not really wanted type of thing.

You are exactly correct except the shotgun was leaned against the wall already.
I bought an older Ford truck, dressed down a bit, spoke respectfully, was very careful about where I went & who I was around... and was loaded for bear so to speak... not that it would have done much in a serious confronation other than prolong the inevitable.

A local who wound up serving as somewhat of a caretaker for us "adopted" me & introduced me around.
They were slow to warm up to strangers as you stated but were, and I imagine still are, some of the finest people.
I hated even asking the sellers of the property for a contract.
Their word was their bond... period.

OK, being cable-free, I was looking on Amazon to see if I could find the show as a rental or purchase. After all, it sounded interesting.

Found it in their TV section, but it didn't look quite right. Then I saw that date was 2006, which definitely seemed weird. Finally, one of the 'actors' names jumped out at me, Cynthia McKinney...

Turns out that she'll probably sue NatGeo for stealing the name of her documentary on how she "...chronicles the recurring patterns of disenfranchisement witnessed from 2000 to 2004...".

Interesting.

Did I smell the name Cynthia McKinney? Hmmm.... Thought I did. There are two things the Commies and the Klunkers have in common:

1) They smell like fear

2) If they don't, they smell it on you.

Both sides of the bench taking a giant dump in your drinking water and claiming it's ecologically correct in one way or another. Then they trip and giggle all over themselves while they pocket your $$$$$$$$............

Back
Top Bottom