• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Ammo Hoarders

Eley is everywhere in stock. It's so high priced that even the online stores have trouble getting rid of it. Every local shop and big box store has stacks of Eley on the shelf and people just walk on by it. The day will never come when I feel a need to buy 22 LR anything for $8.49 for 50 rounds of ammo that goes bang the same way the .05 Remington or Winchester does.

It depends on what you want the ammo for. Remington or winchester will hit a coke can at 25m but I don't think anyone can consistently shoot sub 1" grips with it and an off the shelf rifle. I've never shot Eley, but I do have some Wolf match that cost me .12 a round. My groups are literally 25% of most bulk pack ammo, and half the size of mini mags. The only normal ammo that even shoots close is CCI subs and standard velocity. I save it for rimfire matches, it's too expensive for plinking, but I couldn't come close to competing with people that have good rifle/ammo without it.

In pistols there is a huge difference in performance. Huge.

In some rifles, it wouldn't matter.

If you are shooting target rifles, Winchester 52, Rem 513s, Anschutz, it can make a big difference.

If you're blasting as fast as you can pull the trigger then no, there is no reason to buy quality.

I've never shot at a squirrel, groundhog, red jimmy or steel plate that liked my .05 ammo out of my JC Higgins 1950's rifle or my AMT Lightning target pistol. There's something about that cheap ammo that they are all really "down on," if you get my drift.

I've never shot at a squirrel, groundhog, red jimmy or steel plate that liked my .05 ammo out of my JC Higgins 1950's rifle or my AMT Lightning target pistol. There's something about that cheap ammo that they are all really "down on," if you get my drift.

I've never seen someone win a match with WWB, or bucket o bullets, and I don't think I ever will.

I confess.. I've paid $80 for bricks of CCI mini mags before... I paid $80 for a brick of Aguila Interceptor recently, and would gladly pay it again as its good ammo and I chew through a pretty big chunk of it with a range in my backyard.. I try to keep 3 bricks of ammo on hand at all times so when I cant find any for a little while I can still shoot like I normally do.. I had run down to my last 300 rounds until I found that brick of Aguila. I horde it, but I horde it to shoot it not to save it... Except the CCI Stingers.. I have a 50 count box of those that I save for when I'm carrying a pocket .22

I confess.. I've paid $80 for bricks of CCI mini mags before... I paid $80 for a brick of Aguila Interceptor recently, and would gladly pay it again as its good ammo and I chew through a pretty big chunk of it with a range in my backyard.. I try to keep 3 bricks of ammo on hand at all times so when I cant find any for a little while I can still shoot like I normally do.. I had run down to my last 300 rounds until I found that brick of Aguila. I horde it, but I horde it to shoot it not to save it... Except the CCI Stingers.. I have a 50 count box of those that I save for when I'm carrying a pocket .22

Three bricks is not hoarding by any stretch of the imagination. I shoot mine too. I simply buy as much as I can afford when I buy it.

Back
Top Bottom