Anatomy of a flinch, or why I dislike .40

you would be surprised how that might actually not help. Im with him in the fact taht i cant shoot .40 for ****, its just too snappy for me. Now .45 and 10mm on the other hand i can shoot excellent, this is due to the type of recoil. Like i said the .40 always seems very snappy where as the .45 and 10mm have always felt like more of a "push" and the push just feels much easier to control than the snap

Hmmm.....

you would be surprised how that might actually not help. Im with him in the fact taht i cant shoot .40 for ****, its just too snappy for me. Now .45 and 10mm on the other hand i can shoot excellent, this is due to the type of recoil. Like i said the .40 always seems very snappy where as the .45 and 10mm have always felt like more of a "push" and the push just feels much easier to control than the snap
Yeah you could be right. It seems kinda like a torque vs horsepower thing between 40 and 45/10mm. I've only shot a handful of rounds through a 40 and they were all through a Glock. Not a Glock hater but maybe 40 needs a metal/ heavier frame platform to absorb the recoil.
I'm.gonna pick up a cheap 40 some time soon. After reading about it being the last ammo on the shelves during panic buying that convinced me. I never cared for it and said it was a fad since it was introduced around 90/91. Well maybe it was a fad but the fad last at least a decade longer than I expected it to.

Not going to read all the post but watching the first Vid, In slowmo the shooter had to much finger on the trigger..You can see the muzzle being pushed left..Which is a clean indication that the index finger is two far over the trigger..

Have your buddy load some 40s mixed in with some snap caps. Every time you flinch, have your buddy kick you in the balls (or some similar torture). Win win for everyone.

The snap cap trick works. Makes you focus more on the target, and its more insulting when the gun goes "click" and you jumped like you shot your 454.

Not going to read all the post but watching the first Vid, In slowmo the shooter had to much finger on the trigger..You can see the muzzle being pushed left..Which is a clean indication that the index finger is two far over the trigger..

Good observation, I need to revisit how far to place my pad on trigger. One thing I forgot to mention, the 40 has a minus connector and NY1 spring. The 9mm has just a minus connector. I don't thing trigger fully accounts for the movement, as I can easily manipulate the NY1 in dryfire with no muzzle dip.

Also, the 40 is a poly80 I'd just assembled. It took a lot of fitting to make her go into battery consistently. Kinda wanted to see what a KB looked like in slow motion IF my fitting wasn't adequate...

Im used to my G27, but flinch like mad when I use my wifes G26. The triggers are different (mine was replaced, hers is stock), so I find my self anticipating the 9mm more than the 40 for the first few shots.

I remember why I just can't fall in love with the Forty. Second video is my trusty flock 17. I was fortunate in catching an unexpected failure to hold slide open on both mags. Shot the two videos back to back. I wasn't intending to analyze my recurring flinch, but it worked out well. I'd love to get to the point of being able to shoot 40 accurately also. Not sure how to condition myself to get used to it. Just thought I'd share my slightly embarrassing but telling experience between the two calibers.
2 hands need work on hand strenght

Back
Top Bottom