• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Motherfu***r, just had my first negligent discharge in my office of all places....

shootstraight78

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
2   0
Reaction score
Okay, I don't need anyone calling me names or what not. I own this stupidity, and I never want it to happen again.

I want to know what I did wrong (other than being stupid). Wife is seriously pissed - as she should be. Just pile on some more. Anyway... the good news, no one is hurt. The bad news, I might need surgery to take a dump again.

I keep my .40 S&W in my desk drawer. It's been there for over a year. I work at the front of my house, so what good is a pistol all the way upstairs? All of the ammo is upstairs in the bedroom closet - or so I thought all of the ammo. Clearly for good reasons. I was cleaning out my middle desk drawer, had two empty magazines, was moving the pistol, so cleared the rack (or so I thought). Bang. Round passed through two CDs, two small manuals, out the bottom of the middle desk drawer and lodged in the base of the desk (solid oak thank God).

While I'm typing this, it occurs to me that when I see LEOs clearing pistols, they slide the rack multiple times. That might have avoided my mistake, and avoiding being careless with the trigger. "Always treat a firearm as if it's loaded" has become very ****ing real to me. To say I'm still shaking is to put it mildly.

Other than calling me a dumbass (just +1 the post), looking for technical and safety observations. I clearly allowed myself to get rusty, and it almost cost me. Posting for anyone else out there that this might help.

Not trying to beat you over the head or relive it unnecessarily, more so trying to use this as a learning experience (which we all should.)

So I ask if you can clarify a little more exactly what type of manipulation of the pistol you did in-full prior to the ND?

Accidents happen, but sometimes they are a necessary learning experience. Thank goodness no one was hurt. I have seen and heard of accidental discharges inside police departments and Sheriff Departments so it happens. Seen a few on firing ranges with some right beside feet. Sometimes we rush and get ahead of ourselves and forget our protocols . Forgetting safety for a nano second is all it takes. Good Luck. I am sure you will never do that again. Glad you brought it to our forum and owned it. It will help everyone.

Back
Top Bottom