• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Motherfu***r, just had my first negligent discharge in my office of all places....

Sounds like the little hook or lip of the extractor wasn't sent home hard enough to catch the rim of the cartridge. Next time let your wife clear it 😂

All seriousness, glad you and anyone around you was ok. Anyone who says they have never had a ND is either lying or not around firearms enough.
Never had a ND, guess I need to buy more!!!!

Thanks again to OP for setting aside his pride in order to learn something to better himself. While also giving another reminder for all of our benefit to avoid complacency.

I am in the slightly younger crowd here, but despite being around firearms for a majority of my life, so far I've avoided the dread desk-pop. Hopefully that record persists.

I hadn't seen it mentioned yet but I apologize if it's already been covered.

I'm not sure if the competition world started this trend or if it just became standard for them and it bled into standard practice from there. "Cause that's what the pro shooters do"

End of a stage you are to "unload and show clear," then point down-range and pull trigger. This makes sense in that setting. You have hundreds of people of varying skill levels handling loaded guns all day long. If somehow between the two people involved in clearing the weapon something is overlooked, then the worst that happens is a bullet is wasted into the berm. No more dangerous than when the shooter was shooting into it for the stage he/she just shot. But now there's no doubting that gun is now empty.

Outside of that venue (and yes, I know the military sometimes employs similar SOP. I just wish the training was more substantial where it would deem this unnecessary), I have always believed that having the pulling of a trigger as part of one's unloading process to be not only unnecessary but also a facilitator of an ND waiting to happen.

A phrase I heard and liked was, "Pulling the trigger is part of the shooting process, not of the unloading process." Obviously Glocks require a trigger pull for disassembly, which is a little less than ideal, but if someone is paying attention and knows what they're doing, this is a non-issue. But yes, crap does happen.

"I drop the hammer/striker to ensure it's clear" Is a terrible practice in the real world. Best case scenario you have done something that you should already have known by doing all the other things. drop mag, open action, visually inspect mag well and chamber. Those are sufficient to have a clear weapon. Worst-case is now you have a bullet going somewhere you didn't truly want one to go. But hey, now you know it's empty?

and for the "releasing spring tension" crowd. This has been debunked ad nauseum at this point. Modern springs under tension do not wear them out. Moisture and the compression/decompression of them do. Bonus fact; nearly every single spring in your gun and/or magazine is in a permanent state of tension at all times when assembled in its mechanism.

This is not to bash the OP. The hammer drop habit is very common and I hope that eventually folks will stop doing it outside of the competition world where, again, it actually makes more sense and is set up for that practice. AD's are real and a whole nother topic of discussion. But what people tend to refer as an AD is usually an ND that they don't want to own up to.

I would argue that if the trigger was not messed with, whether it was for that reason or simply a mistake, there would have been no ND at any point. The next time OP messed with it, maybe he would have checked it and been surprised to see a chambered round. Nothing more. I still think a holster or anything that keeps the trigger guard covered is a good idea for a gun kept somewhere other than in general storage/a safe.

A friend had a ND while getting his britches down in a hurry to take a dump. His Airweight fell out of his back pocket and the bullet went through his azz and stopped in his intestines. Never asked him if he took a dump before the ambulance arrived.

A friend had a ND while getting his britches down in a hurry to take a dump. His Airweight fell out of his back pocket and the bullet went through his azz and stopped in his intestines. Never asked him if he took a dump before the ambulance arrived.
I’m betting he did when he heard that gun go off.

That *was* a hollow point - full home defense round. Maybe I misread your post. I might leave the round in the desk as a reminder. I'm just glad the weapon was pointed down. My son was in the garage protected by 2 layers of sheetrock.

As I said above, a serious training class is already scheduled.

Not sure if this was meant seriously or sarcastically, but there are quite a few videos on YouTube showing 9mm zipping right through a surprising amount of sheetrock.

Mike Glover has a good 3-point system for safety-checking a pistol. It starts at about the 6:00 mark:

Back
Top Bottom