• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

And here we go again (School shooting)

I don't know if you guys were expecting me to argue or what...but dude is right. Our country was not founded by "Christians" in anything resembling exclusivity. Certainly there would have been some...but to naively and loudly shout about our "Christian fore-fathers," just further proclaims one's own ignorance.

But enough about that...on with the discussion at hand about how the media is unhappy that this monster blasted them all with an Ole Fudd's gun instead of an AR clipazine with the semi-auto-automathic thing that goes up.

I'm going to have to show my "own ignorance" and disagree somewhat here. The overwhelming majority of our forefathers and citizens were Christian, if they were religious at all. Granted, some were not religious, but those who were, were overwhelmingly Christian. This continued throughout 200 years of our existence as a country. To deny this is what I call ignorant.

High school age kids are subject to more reclusiveness, more so now than ever, IMO. There have always been oddball kids, though, and reclusiveness is certainly not exclusive to this generation, but something deep is missing when these kids feel that mass murder is the only way to express their frustrations.

It is so much easier now to have negative feelings and a negative overall outlook for being a recluse, for being an oddball. It is all in your face so much more now that we are in a mature information age. It all comes back to how hyper-connected we are. Humans were not ready for this I believe. We just, as a whole, aren't mature enough to handle knowing EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME about EVERYONE. Forget the comparatively simple notions of privacy and personal liberty, the side-effect that nobody saw coming was what it does to people psychologically to be so plugged into the entire world.

I'm going to have to show my "own ignorance" and disagree somewhat here. The overwhelming majority of our forefathers and citizens were Christian, if they were religious at all. Granted, some were not religious, but those who were, were overwhelmingly Christian. This continued throughout 200 years of our existence as a country. To deny this is what I call ignorant.
If you'd like, I'd be happy to engage this discussion in the religious debate subforum. We've already derailed this thread enough. Tag me in it and let's have the discussion!

That is a good point and question. But I still think examining data and looking at similarities is a very good start and actually could bring something out that can be addressed. But that is my opinion and others will have their own

Yeah let’s just do like the Australians ban guns and video games!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is so much easier now to have negative feelings and a negative overall outlook for being a recluse, for being an oddball. It is all in your face so much more now that we are in a mature information age. It all comes back to how hyper-connected we are. Humans were not ready for this I believe. We just, as a whole, aren't mature enough to handle knowing EVERYTHING ALL THE TIME about EVERYONE. Forget the comparatively simple notions of privacy and personal liberty, the side-effect that nobody saw coming was what it does to people psychologically to be so plugged into the entire world.

To further expand on this: Unfortunately, we're too far down this path to change anything and it's only going to get worse. And, instead of saying "well, we need to be better people", though we know that's frivolous that none the less at least addresses the core problem, we're going to instead create a world that is so authoritarian that we won't even recognize it because it's the only option that seems available. And hell, maybe it IS the only option available, since fixing peoples' neurosis and need for attention and meaning to their lives is a nigh impossible task...

To further expand on this: Unfortunately, we're too far down this path to change anything and it's only going to get worse. And, instead of saying "well, we need to be better people", though we know that's frivolous that none the less at least addresses the core problem, we're going to instead create a world that is so authoritarian that we won't even recognize it because it's the only option that seems available. And hell, maybe it IS the only option available, since fixing peoples' neurosis and need for attention and meaning to their lives is a nigh impossible task...

We can always party for a revival. Like the 1840’s.

Lol, I meant pray...but maybe party for one too.

I really wish the media would stop posting the name and bio of the mass shooter. His name and face are already on wikipedia.

If you are bullied, an outcast, or mentally deranged and all you see on mainstream and social media are people with perfect lives ... well, this is a way to be noticed and remembered ...

You can go your whole life not breaking a single law, raising a family and dying at 84 and the only mention you'll get is your name in the obituary column. This guy will get tons of news articles with thousands of people talking about what he did and why he did it, the 24 hour news media doing the same for at least a little while and already has an entire wikipedia page dedicated to the act as well. He'll get even more recognition and impact locally for years to come.

Would someone make a whole wikipedia article about anything any of these victims did in their lives, other than dying? Not noteworthy enough.

If we could pass a law that removes the name of mass shooters from the public eye, I think it would have a huge impact. It is something I believe would get bipartisan support. I just don't know how feasible it would be and it's impact on the 1st Amendment.
People seem to get more attention burning down the barn than they do taking out the trash.

Back
Top Bottom