• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another AR question

whocares5254

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
16   0
Reaction score
So I took my AR out to the range today and had a malfunction. Upon inspection I found that the round had been pushed up too far into the chamber. After struggling to eject the round if found the bullet was still lodged in the barrel. I started inspecting a few cases and saw they looked like the bolt has been slamming pretty hard and chewing the brass. I had a few rounds that also had the primer pop out upon ejection. Was using independence 5.56 ammo in a 16" Midwest upper, Anderson lower with PSA lpk. Now my question is, Is this ammo related faults or weapon related faults? Is it gas pressure? Could it be the buffer spring or buffer weight? Ready, GO.

Thanks for the input.
KIMG0326.JPG
KIMG0327.JPG

Idk. I'd try another brand of ammo first. I don't think your gun would cause that primer issue. I would think the primers are blowing out on ignition from not being seated properly. That could cause the squib I would think. I definitely wouldn't shoot that ammo again until you figure the problem out.

I went and pulled some older brass out and still have the same marks that look like the bolt face is chewing the case. Today was the first time though I've seen the primer issue. I'm wondering if the bolt is slamming closed too hard and causing the chew marks and possibly unseating the primer.

There have been all sorts of issues with certain lot#'s of independance (xm193 specifically) There is a huge thread on both m4 carbine, and Ar15. Contact federal with the lot# to see if you have a defective batch.

Sounds like your chamber is out of spec. Those marking looks like the ejector is struggling to get the round out and scarring the brass.

Is that barrel marked .223 or 5.56 NATO?

Also, I would halt anymore rounds until you check it with go no go gauges.

Pics of the bolt?

Lastly, by bullet do you mean the projectile is stuck in the barrel or the entire cartridge before firing?

I went and pulled some older brass out and still have the same marks that look like the bolt face is chewing the case. Today was the first time though I've seen the primer issue. I'm wondering if the bolt is slamming closed too hard and causing the chew marks and possibly unseating the primer.
Man, I don't really see the bolt slamming too hard. Those look like extractor gouges and it sounds like you have a really right chamber causing pressure issues.

Sounds like your chamber is out of spec. Those marking looks like the ejector is struggling to get the round out and scarring the brass.

Is that barrel marked .223 or 5.56 NATO?

Also, I would halt anymore rounds until you check it with go no go gauges.

Pics of the bolt?

Lastly, by bullet do you mean the projectile is stuck in the barrel or the entire cartridge before firing?

Projectile.

Back
Top Bottom