• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Another Powerjoke killin batteries.

jeep78

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
36   0
Reaction score
Park for 3 days, no start due to dead batteries.

Fellow found out I do this kind of stuff, so I get the truck, great.

First showed a draw on the starter WTF?

Then that went away about the time I bumped the heated seat control. Now draw is the instrument cluster circuit (also has courtesy lights, power mirror, and god knows what).

So I drop the fuse access panel and find the wiring harness butchered, cut and whatever spliced in.

Plus, an unfused #8 wire bolted to the hot post on a battery and going through the firewall, not even a grommet to protect the HOT wire.

I have to remove all that aftermarket radio and other junk before I can even see if he really has a problem. These things do have wire chafing problems in the steering column and gauge cluster problems that are $$$$ to repair.

We will see.

in for the outcome sounds interesting

Will keep updates coming. Very common when alternator diodes go out, same symptoms, but not the problem this time.

Narrowing down to the built in regulator in the gauge cluster, but no way to verify right now.

It just gets better and better. Lit it off to see if everything worked, and fuel light came on, showing less than 1/8 on the gauge. Odd, it had 3/4 tank yesterday and went less than 70 miles.

Rebooted everything and gauges normal, for now.

Back
Top Bottom