• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Another reason why you should know the laws before you use your gun....

What sucks is we all have the same opinion of the dead guy and sympathize with the shooter. We also know the shooter let his emotions get the better of him. Will he actually see the inside of a prison? Time will tell. He does stand a good chance of having his 2nd Amendment rights stripped even without jail time.

Ha, I meant the shooter's.
Since it seems he shot the guy "inappropriately".
I'd ask a respected minister to testify if there was a trial perhaps.
You are talking about two different 'courts' that are unrelated. Depending who is on the jury, that testimony may back fire.

Only because of O.C.G.A. 16-3-21.

I seriously doubt he knows the law since my best guess from experience is that 90-95% of gun owners don't.

If there was ANY reasonable justification that the shooter was defending himself, a third party, or preventing a forcible felony then he might could pull it off but I doubt there was.

Depending on the circumstances a good attorney might get him off or more likely get the charges reduced but it will be tough.

Not saying it's fair but like Ayoob always said, "You have to survive not only the encounter but also the aftermath".

If I'm in jail I can't provide for (much less protect) my family.
I'm not sure my point was clear. I don't know if he knew the law and it doesn't matter (that was my point). I can certainly see where in that situation I would worry the perp would return and would do everything in my power to prevent that. I get it may not be 'legal'. But if you are in fear for your life, 'legal' takes a back burner... actually it's no where on the stove. Yes I understand that doesn't change the legal ramifications. I pray to never be in the situation but yeah, if I'm on the jury and I believe the guy was scared for his life (which is a pretty easy sell to me), "not guilty" would be pretty easy.

Why do you assume he didn't know the law? :confused:

I'm trying to imagine walking into my home and finding a family member tied up at gun point. The suspect then flees. I guess at that point I have two options.
1) "It's OK honey/son, let me untie you. The bad man is gone. I'll get on the phone now to call the real estate agent and a therapist.
or
2) Sling every grain of lead at him/them I can get my hands on as long as I can see them.

I get your point but there is no way I'm letting an armed felon who broke into my home leave unscathed if I can help it.

Well, if you intentionally act according to reaction #2, you're committing murder. Or some lesser degree of criminal homicide. That's our law, and the rules made by our ancestors and kept in place by today's generation of lawmakers and judges. If you don't like it, lobby for "shoot fleeing felons" laws. Or move somewhere else.
Or... or stay here in the USA, but understand that if you choose to act on your ideas of right and wrong (vigilante justice) instead of acting according to the law, then you can be the vigilante hero in prison. You can get letters from pen-pals telling you how much they admire you taking out the trash and making the community a safer place. Your mug shot might be a pro-gun meme on the internet, as you sit in prison and aren't allowed access to the internet.

If your anger and shock at seeing your home and family abused this way causes an IRRESISTIBLE IMPULSE that, although you knew it was wrong, overrode your will and good judgment and caused you to shoot that fleeing felon in the back, then you might have a defense to the crime, or at least mitigating circumstances that get it reduced to a probation-only sentence.

Back
Top Bottom