• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Another reason why you should know the laws before you use your gun....

What about this part of the Georgia Law.......How does one interpret it??

Forcible Felony - Any felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any person. (16-1-3 as used anywhere in Chapter 16, except 16-11-131)

Well in the movies they chase them down shooting randomly in the direction lol:wacko:
I remember a case in California where a man was robbed at gunpoint. The victim used his car to pin the suspect against a building breaking legs in the process. The perp was still pinned when the police arrived. The perp went to jail and his lawyer sued the victim and won. I guess the victim should have done more than just pin the perp against the wall.

OK Monte.......That was Colorado.........what about the exact same scenario here in Georgia......??????

Ken nailed it. If y'all remember there was a case in Walker county recently where very similar circumstances occurred.
A girl had a party at her house, got into a fight w/ 2 or 3 guys in the front yard of their trailer, then her stepfather who was coming to her aid, came out & fired ( I believe) an entire mag. (or most of it) from his pistol at the truck the boys were in as they were fleeing.
One or more of the rounds struck one of the teens & killed him.

Channel 9 news came & interviewed me for 1 1/2 hours &, among other things, asked me if the shooting was justified or not.
My response was first... I didn't have all the facts & second... IF the circumstances were as described he would probably be charged w/manslaughter or a charge less than outright murder.... that is exactly what happened.

The common denominator....shooting a gun at someone fleeing the scene.

I know I would act similarly. What about his potential salvation though?
Why do you assume he didn't know the law?
I'm trying to imagine walking into my home and finding a family member tied up at gun point. The suspect then flees. I guess at that point I have two options.
1) "It's OK honey/son, let me untie you. The bad man is gone. I'll get on the phone now to call the real estate agent and a therapist.
or
2) Sling every grain of lead at him/them I can get my hands on as long as I can see them.

I get your point but there is no way I'm letting an armed felon who broke into my home leave unscathed if I can help it.

This is why you either need to live in a rural area with no witnesses and finish the job or live in an urban area where nobody snitches. Down the road from me a while back:

http://www.wsfa.com/story/27470197/opelika-woman-who-fatally-hit-child-with-car-in-nov-now-charged

Woman hits child and attempts to flee. Someone shoots at her. This causes her to lose control of the vehicle and crash. Neighbors proceed to teach her a lesson.

Nobody saw a damn thing. Nobody charged but the woman driving.

What about this part of the Georgia Law.......How does one interpret it??

Forcible Felony - Any felony which involves the use or threat of physical force or violence against any person. (16-1-3 as used anywhere in Chapter 16, except 16-11-131)

That is the 3rd instance of Justified Use of Deadly Force in Ga. (that few people pay attention to) right behind defense of self & defense of third party.

To me it still sort of has to do with the first two in that during the course of committing a forcible felony the offender is putting others at risk of death or grave bodily injury.

The problem with it is someone who doesn't use discretion can confuse themselves w/ having the duties of an Officer ... w/o their training, back-up, protective gear, & mantle of protection under the law being a sworn Officer.

Just because one can doesn't always mean one should.

Would I want someone to use their firearm to protect a family member in danger from a violent attack? Probably so... maybe desperately so.

Would I want an untrained person to jump into a situation where they were not justified & start blazing away like the guy in Chattanooga whose truck was being stolen who ran out into the parking lot & wrecklessly started firing in the direction of his truck that was quite some distance away? Or how about the guy who pulled his pistol on a man & his daughter outside a local restaurant after the man backed into him by accident at slow speed & was just getting out of the way of the traffic?
Of course not.

Depending on the situation & where myself & family may have been I may have shot either one of those men myself... or at least got behind cover & prepared to do so.
As I'm sure you agree, drawing a firearm in public in earnest is serious business.

Anytime a firearm is pulled in public in an apparently violent situation there is the potential for the one doing so to be shot themselves.... whether by the "bad guy", by another GWL holder, or by responding L.E.

In the 2nd occasion mentioned above the offender was unaware that one cannot use lethal force to protect property but learned so after he was sent to me by the court.

Who's to say since you were tied up that he wouldn't come back to harm you when you were defenseless?

Back
Top Bottom