Another shipping firearms post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spamcastle

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
339   0
Reaction score
I spent some time reviewing posts on the forum relating to the shipping of firearms after having an interesting conversation with the managers at both my local Fedex and UPS hubs. I found alot of usefull information from the following page,
http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/showthread.php?65535-shipping-handguns
as well as from the ATF website
http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/unlicensed-persons.html
However, neither of my local shipping companies will ship a firearm for me. They state to me that their policies do not allow me to ship a firearm to anyone other then an FFL or Firearm manufactorer. I have reviewed their polices online and at first glance it seems that they are correct, which directly conflicts with everything I have read on here. I'm not trying to start a sh*t storm but would like something to challange thier ability to refuse my shipments.

From UPS https://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/firearms.html?srch_pos=1&srch_phr=firearm

Special Procedures for Shipping Firearms
Use These UPS Services for Your Firearm Shipment
UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation from and between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), law enforcement agencies of the United States (or of any department or agency of the United States), law enforcement agencies of any state or department agency (or political subdivision of any state), from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law, and when such shipment complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package.

From Fedex http://www.fedex.com/us/national/rulestariff/prohibited_articles.html
A.Firearms
B.Carrier will transport and deliver firearms as defined by the United States Gun Control Act of 1968, between areas served in the U.S., but only between:
1.Licensed importers; licensed manufacturers; licensed dealers; licensed collectors; law enforcement agencies of the U.S. or any department or agency thereof; and law enforcement agencies of any state or any department, agency or political subdivisions thereof; or
2.Where not prohibited by local, state and federal law, from individuals to licensed importers, licensed manufacturers or licensed dealers (and return of same).
C.Carrier cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D.
D.Upon presenting the goods for shipment, the person tendering the shipment to Carrier is required to notify Carrier that the shipment contains a firearm. The outside of the package(s) must not be marked, labeled or otherwise identify that the package(s) contains a firearm.
E.The shipper and recipient must be of legal age as identified by applicable law.
F.The shipper and recipient are required to comply with all applicable government regulations and laws, including those pertaining to labeling. The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives can provide assistance.
G.Carrier will transport small-arms ammunition when packed and labeled in compliance with local, state and federal law, and the Hazardous Materials section of this Service Guide. Ammunition is an explosive and must be shipped separately as hazardous materials. You agree not to ship loaded firearms or firearms with ammunition in the same package.

I'm all about by passing FFL's to save both parties some cash but can't risk losing my firearm in trasit or end up with an ATF agent on my doorstep because I didn't "inform" the carrier what was inside. Can anyone provide me with some usefull information, links, or ideas?

The couple of times I have shipped from our local UPS terminal and advised them of what was inside and they had no problem with it at all. I will stick with using UPS if I ever ship again. No hassles there.

When I talk to Fedex they just show me their policy book and that's the end of it. With UPS I show them the part where it says "from and between persons not otherwise prohibited from shipping firearms by federal, state or local law, and when such shipment complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package" and they just seemed confused. I understand that they are just trying to make sure they don't do anything illegal or put their job in jeopardy but I'd like to have a standard go to place for shipping.

There's only so many "car parts" I can ship per week.

I shipped a pistol through UPS, no problems at all. Matter of fact, when I told the woman that it was a pistol, her eyes lit up and she excitedly helped me with the computer and everything. It was one of the most pleasant experiences shipping EVER.

I was honestly shocked. It was the first and actually only time I've ever shipped a firearm. I was expecting some hostility or fear as I'm used to dealing with the usual class of "firearms ignorant" people. It was a pleasant surprise. I went to a UPS "hub" on Pleasantdale Road, maybe that had something to do with it.

Spamcastle, are you going to their hubs or The UPS Store? Just an FYI, you can't ship firearms through the stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom