• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any Bicyclists in the house? Road? Mountain? Hybrid?

Do any of y'all have a minimum ride distance? If your going to gear up and load out, what's the minimum distance you need to go to make it feel worth it? 5 miles? 10 miles? Until you wear the knobs off? Just curious.....

Do any of y'all have a minimum ride distance? If your going to gear up and load out, what's the minimum distance you need to go to make it feel worth it? 5 miles? 10 miles? Until you wear the knobs off? Just curious.....

I’m no road bike snob (and there plenty) but for me - a 30 min out , 30 min back is about minimum. 2 hours is about all I could do now- but have done some centuries and metric centuries.

Funny story-

Wife and I went to the beach once, while she is getting ready for dinner- I head out for a quick ride. It’s flat and my average speed is climbing. 18..then 20..I’m hitting on 22 mph thinking ima beast. Then , I turn around and had a head wind so hard- took me 30 mins out - 45 mins back.

Wifey was not happy.

For me it was usually 2 hrs or more ridetime ideally. But of course some days were shorter than that for different reasons.

I’m no road bike snob (and there plenty) but for me - a 30 min out , 30 min back is about minimum. 2 hours is about all I could do now- but have done some centuries and metric centuries.

Funny story-

Wife and I went to the beach once, while she is getting ready for dinner- I head out for a quick ride. It’s flat and my average speed is climbing. 18..then 20..I’m hitting on 22 mph thinking ima beast. Then , I turn around and had a head wind so hard- took me 30 mins out - 45 mins back.

Wifey was not happy.

Ha
Funny. Been there done that many times. At the beach it’s crazy. Flying down the road 30+ miles an hour. But then you turn around...

When I was riding everyday I wouldn’t even change cloths for a short ride. Jump out of my truck and onto the bike in jeans and a T-shirt. I put on a neoprene leg wrap to keep my pants leg out of the gears and that’s it. Usually those rides are on the MTB but I’ve made a quick shoe change and jumped on the roadie in the same attire. I get some looks at Stone Mountain Park but oh well lol.

When I was riding everyday I wouldn’t even change cloths for a short ride. Jump out of my truck and onto the bike in jeans and a T-shirt. I put on a neoprene leg wrap to keep my pants leg out of the gears and that’s it. Usually those rides are on the MTB but I’ve made a quick shoe change and jumped on the roadie in the same attire. I get some looks at Stone Mountain Park but oh well lol.

That’s funny- where I come from , we would assume you stole that bike if you were wearing blue jeans!

Hey guys - my son is way into biking...

Looking for a recommendation for a decent bike-specific tool kit. Found one on wish but heard reference to one at Harbor Freight but can't find it online.

TIA

Hey guys - my son is way into biking...

Looking for a recommendation for a decent bike-specific tool kit. Found one on wish but heard reference to one at Harbor Freight but can't find it online.

TIA

Try Performance Bike web site- they have some “ house brand” tools that are great. Park Tools is a good name brand, but they can be pricey..

https://www.performancebike.com/shop/bike-tools-transport

Back
Top Bottom