Any electricians or do it yourself experts on here?

ClassicBlue

Default rank <5000 posts
Friends don’t let friends buy cheap guns!
431   0
Reaction score
I bought myself an electric smoker a couple months ago. Before the first use, you're supposed season the smoker by applying a light coat of vegetable oil to the inside walls and plugging it in for 3 hours. Did this today and every time it would trip the breaker. I tried several outlets only to no avail. Checked the manufacturers web site and this is a common problem. They recommend a dedicated breaker with a 15 to 20 amp rating. I can install ceiling fans, light fixtures, dish washers, etc.. Breakers and breaker boxes are not my thing. I'm happy to pay someone to do the work or I'm up for suggestions if can be a do it yourself project if someone can walk me through it.

Thanks

First check that you're using a 20 amp circuit. Most likely you'll be plugging it in to an exterior outlet which should be a GFCI outlet. Also most likely, the electrician who installed your system probably cheated and pushed the wires into the back of the outlet instead of looping them around the terminals for positive contact. If thats the case, even a new system will throw the breaker because of the limited contact and high resistance. Pull the cover plate off and see if the wires are looped around the terminals to begin with. If they are done correctly, then you still have resistance from the circuit upstream (bathroom or kitchen circuit). If they're not looped, then thats an easy fix for yourself but keep in mind you still may have high resistance upstream of that outlet. It could be an easy fix or a maze. Only one way to find out. Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom