Any electricians or do it yourself experts on here?

It's tripping a GFI outlet that's in the basement. I'm sure this outlet is ahead of the one outside that I'm trying to use. My apologies for using the term breaker - I meant to say tripping the GFI on a outlet that must lead to the outlet outside. Voltage listed is 120.

It's tripping a GFI outlet that's in the basement. I'm sure this outlet is ahead of the one outside that I'm trying to use. My apologies for using the term breaker - I meant to say tripping the GFI on a outlet that must lead to the outlet outside. Voltage listed is 120.

GFI can be a MAJOR pain in the ass. But they serve their purpose. Get on the washing machine outlet and do a short test run (ideally with a meter in series checking current) to figure out what type of amp draw your getting.

This^^^^^

If the receptical is a GFCI, replace it with a standard 20amp receptical.

Replacing a GFCI outlet with a standard outlet won't fix a thing and will actually by chance make things worse. Most people grab the outlet at the store thats the same color as their old one and thats priced at .25 cents. The problem with that is you're going from a GF protected circuit 20 amp rated outlet to a 15 amp outlet. Thats going backwards. Check the basics or call an electrician. This is basic wiring and should not scare you off unless you have a pacemaker.

Plug some other appliance in and see if it pops. Some gfi's will start kicking out under load when they start to go bad. A gfi under little to no load shouldn't trip. I've seen temp boards get loaded the f down and hold.

Most homes are not set up for more than 220. Unless someone has had a machine shop in the basement.

But not on the back deck of someone's house?

I've never seen 440 in a residence. The 440 smoker took up an entire tandem axl trailer that was about 30 feet long, it pretty much had its own generator.

Plug some other appliance in and see if it pops. Some gfi's will start kicking out under load when they start to go bad. A gfi under little to no load shouldn't trip. I've seen temp boards get loaded the f down and hold.

I just had a thought... Hes running an electric smoker which is essentially a giant resistor if im not mistaken. Maybe the GFI if seeing the B.A.F. resistor as a fault.

Back
Top Bottom