Any electricians or do it yourself experts on here?

The GFCI is not going to handle a heating element. Either use a different circuit or bypass the GFCI receptical when you want to use the smoker.

This! Not an electrician, but I used to work large outdoor events managing power. GFCI's dot not play with well with heating units or high starting loads on some motors.

Dedicated means you can't have anything else plugged into that outlet or any other outlet on that circuit, so you need to make sure which outlets are tied in with the one you are using and disconnect any plugs into any of the other outlets that may be connected. The circuit may have and probably does have several outlets tied into it. If this is occuring, and my guess is that it is, there is your problem.

This! Not an electrician, but I used to work large outdoor events managing power. GFCI's dot not play with well with heating units or high starting loads on some motors.

Yet code calls for gfi outside where you'd run such heaters. I'd throw a load at the gfi n see what happens. If it holds I'd go to a different plug.

Just use the washing machine circuit for the initial "burn off" then try the gfci again. Its probably over amping but most likely will be fine after you use it.

Oh yeah, I do work for an electrical company when I'm not operating equipment. Everything from 12v dc to 480 ac.

It seems like the GFIC's get tripped very easy in my house. In my gun cleaning room in the basement I have a fridge, light over my bench, and(did have) a small stereo. Every time I would turn on the stereo it would trip the GFIC in the basement bathroom. It finally stopped when I quit using and unplugged the stereo. In one room I can't have a fridge, bench light and a stereo? What the heck?

It seems like the GFIC's get tripped very easy in my house. In my gun cleaning room in the basement I have a fridge, light over my bench, and(did have) a small stereo. Every time I would turn on the stereo it would trip the GFIC in the basement bathroom. It finally stopped when I quit using and unplugged the stereo. In one room I can have a fridge, bench light and a stereo? What the heck?

How old is the house? Has the gfci been there from the beginning? They go bad fairly often and it's not uncommon, probably time to replace it if you've had issues with it in the past.

Just use the washing machine circuit for the initial "burn off" then try the gfci again. Its probably over amping but most likely will be fine after you use it.

Oh yeah, I do work for an electrical company when I'm not operating equipment. Everything from 12v dc to 480 ac.
Something just seems off but it's past my bed time. With most kitchens being gfci protected the main thing you're using are high wattage heating elements, George foremans, deep fryers, microwaves, coffee pots etc. if this thing is suitable for being on a 15 amp (according to op's post) then I can't see it drawing that heavy of a load. Hell I've ran space heaters in the bathroom that have held. That's why I'm befuddled.

Something just seems off but it's past my bed time. With most kitchens being gfci protected the main thing you're using are high wattage heating elements, George foremans, deep fryers, microwaves, coffee pots etc. if this thing is suitable for being on a 15 amp (according to op's post) then I can't see it drawing that heavy of a load. Hell I've ran space heaters in the bathroom that have held. That's why I'm befuddled.

See post 38.

Back
Top Bottom