• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any flint knappers in the group?

Just starting out, messing around with glass for now. Taking a class in a couple of weeks. I haven't seen knapping mentioned on here so I figured it would be a good start for folks to talk and possibly meet up one day.

Many years ago I found some flint big enough for a beginner to play with. I made a couple crude looking arrow heads and a spear point. If I had access to more flint and a little more time I think it would be fun again. Maybe I should put that on my list of neat stuff the show my grand boys.

It definitely seems like a lost art. I was just talking about knapping with my stepfather and father in law today at dinner and they looked at me like I was dumb. It's definitely something to try out, possibly become a hobby. If anyone that views this or following is ever interested in any classes, let me know and u can send a link. I know a guy, Justin Cook, that does classes from time to time. Mostly through Georgia Bushcraft here in GA. He has made replicas for museums, awesome guy. Natural formations of flint/chert here in GA is pretty much nonexistent to my knowledge, either collected at Flint River or traded for back in the day. Quartz seems to be the go-to. Klein ap

Back
Top Bottom