• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any one squirel hunt at johns moutain?

sierra117

Default rank <2500 posts
ODT Junkie!
48   0
Reaction score
Any one hunt or has hunted at johns moutain for squirels any info?

I have never been hunting so anything will help only moved from komifornia to ga a year ago so if any one is willing to take me on a squirrel hunt i would be great full

Been there a few times, didn't have much luck hunting squirrels there, of course that's when I was very new to hunting and really had no idea what I was doing. Fun memory there: I was pretty new to hunting and very inexperienced and saw a squirrel pretty far away. It was all I'd seen so I took the best shot that I could and I was certain that I got it. I saw the squirrel fall from off the tree. When I went to pick up my trophy squirrel from the shot that I was quite proud of, I found that I had shot a chipmunk instead. smh

Nice range there. Find one of the local Rangers and they could probably tell you where to go for squirrels.

Been there a few times, didn't have much luck hunting squirrels there, of course that's when I was very new to hunting and really had no idea what I was doing. Fun memory there: I was pretty new to hunting and very inexperienced and saw a squirrel pretty far away. It was all I'd seen so I took the best shot that I could and I was certain that I got it. I saw the squirrel fall from off the tree. When I went to pick up my trophy squirrel from the shot that I was quite proud of, I found that I had shot a chipmunk instead. smh

Nice range there. Find one of the local Rangers and they could probably tell you where to go for squirrels.
Lol thats what im afraid of being new and not finding anything or geting lost

12 will work - just use small size shot shells 5, 6 or even 7.5. That's what I used to use. Just pattern it a few times at the range, get a couple of boxes of each size, draw some squirrels on paper targets and blast away at different distances and see which load patterns best on the drawn squirrel at the distances you plan on hunting. You will see that only a few pellets actually hit the squirrel.

Of course 20 and 410 will work also. Getting a squirrel with a 22 is a fun accomplishment. Crazy tree rats twitch and move so fast, it's hard to get them to sit still.

The way I see the most squirrels is I go deer hunting.

12 will work - just use small size shot shells 5, 6 or even 7.5. That's what I used to use. Just pattern it a few times at the range, get a couple of boxes of each size, draw some squirrels on paper targets and blast away at different distances and see which load patterns best on the drawn squirrel at the distances you plan on hunting. You will see that only a few pellets actually hit the squirrel.

Of course 20 and 410 will work also. Getting a squirrel with a 22 is a fun accomplishment. Crazy tree rats twitch and move so fast, it's hard to get them to sit still.

The way I see the most squirrels is I go deer hunting.
Ain't that the truth! LOL!

Back
Top Bottom