• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any one squirel hunt at johns moutain?

If you're using a 22, take your time. Don't go for shots that are hard or fast. Be patient and an easy shot will present itself. Often times the shot can be so close that you need to remember your point of impact at extremely short range or you'll shoot low.

This time of year the squirrels should be hitting the Hickory trees rather hard. You'll see and hear shavings fall while they are up there shelling the nuts. That or look for nut hull pieces all over the ground. They'll be up in the top foraging on the nuts, so listen for them moving about up in the canopy. Find den trees nearby and you'll be in a great spot. Den trees will have holes in the side or at the base where they go in and out. Some of your larger oak and poplars make good den trees.

Take a compass and write down the coordinates to the north, and reverse them when going back to your car, which should be south to get you back from wherever you end up. Or use the east, west. Remember the sun comes up in the east, and sets in the west. That fact never changes...

Country squirrels aren't like city squirrels. They will run along the ground, unless you close the gap. When they climb a tree, they hide. They don't go up and sit on a limb daring you to shoot them.

Personally I only hunt squirrels with a rifle.

12 will work - just use small size shot shells 5, 6 or even 7.5. That's what I used to use. Just pattern it a few times at the range, get a couple of boxes of each size, draw some squirrels on paper targets and blast away at different distances and see which load patterns best on the drawn squirrel at the distances you plan on hunting. You will see that only a few pellets actually hit the squirrel.

Of course 20 and 410 will work also. Getting a squirrel with a 22 is a fun accomplishment. Crazy tree rats twitch and move so fast, it's hard to get them to sit still.

The way I see the most squirrels is I go deer hunting.

You should enter the squirrel tournament. Head shot only in and out. Any other marks on the squirrel disqualifies it.
There is usually about $150.00-$200.00 prize for the most head shots.

You need to give yourself every advantage. Camo down. All the way to your socks.lol
Either face paint, or a camo face mask. Squirrels aren't stupid, even though they tend to act that way sometimes.
Be very very quiet, and move very very slow.

Back
Top Bottom