• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any problems shooting a 7.62x 39 upper on a full auto M16 lower?

The only thing that I can think of is the heavier hammer spring for the harder primer. (Big issue with that ammo). The usual tweaks to make the ak round run in the ar upper. Switching a good upper onto a lower with a heavy spring should be easy peasy.

On my sbr ar running 7.62x39 in a 10.5 barrel the issues I found were light strikes on the primers, the need for a shotgun recoil pad, (I just glued one on and ground it to fit) and I made the decision to put an adjustable gas block on the barrel to slow down the cycling mass.

I love the ak round in the ar platform. I found the recoil of the ak round is significantly more than the typical m-16, but the 30 cal round is awesome and cheaper to shoot.

Bolt failure is about the only thing that can go wrong. As long as you don't blow up the upper, no biggie. I've used the curved mags for the 7.62x39 round. Those have worked flawless. But I've also had a lot of luck with pmags and 25rnds in them.

Bolt failure is about the only thing that can go wrong. As long as you don't blow up the upper, no biggie. I've used the curved mags for the 7.62x39 round. Those have worked flawless. But I've also had a lot of luck with pmags and 25rnds in them.

I had very good luck with a 7.62 x 39 upper and curve mags.

So you tried it on your M16 lower?

I've ran the following on M16's.

.223/5.56
.22LR (finikey to say the least)
9mm
5.45x39
7.62x39
.300blk

I didn't care for the 22 due to the hassles. And I didn't like 9mm (blowback) due to cyclic rate and it beats on the lower. (9mm belt fed upper works like a champ though)

I've ran the following on M16's.

.223/5.56
.22LR (finikey to say the least)
9mm
5.45x39
7.62x39
.300blk

I didn't care for the 22 due to the hassles. And I didn't like 9mm (blowback) due to cyclic rate and it beats on the lower. (9mm belt fed upper works like a champ though)

Thanks

I run a 7.62 x 39 upper on my M-16. I don’t have any problems, I also have some early colt 7.62x39 mags & couple older Franken mags & Pre ban 762x39 AR drums. I’ve not had any feeding problems but usually use the older colt mags most of the time. The main difference is the recoil. It’s a lot harder to stay on target with an aimed mag dump. Definitely want to use short bursts, big difference between the two uppers. When I let my son shoot that upper, he uses the 5 round mag

My 9x39 runs fine in FA, it uses a 7.62x39 bolt. Again you have to get a good working combination in Semi auto.

Back
Top Bottom