Any Recommendations for Staining and Finishing AK Wood Furniture?

The wood appears to be a hard wood of some sort and it's not laminated. It may have been stained prior to import as there's some dark areas along the butt plate. When I got it, all of the wood was sanded smooth. How many coats of boiled linseed oil do you recommend?
It really depends on the wood. A little trick is to create a mud with the saw dust from sanding. Leave the sawdust on the stock and work it in with a mixture of 50% linseed oil and 90% denatured alcohol. Don't expect instant results and give the linseed at least four or five days with the first coat to harden lightly sand and add another coat. Sometimes it takes as little as three and sometimes it feels like you could go on forever it all depends on the wood...

C3EDACB4-F2AD-44FD-9BF3-8D56D543FB4D.jpeg

The shellac never worked good for me. I found that staining to my desired color and coating the this worked great. Just my personal experience with each. It is very easy to get a smooth even coat with it also. Takes a few nights of putting on a coat, lightly steel wool it the next day and put another coat until desired finish is reached.

I searched the interweb and read a bunch of articles so not sure of exact recipe for the AK furniture, but I dyed the stock with a mix of red rit dye with rubbing alcohol. Then applied a couple of coats of minwax Sedona red stain. Then four coats of polyurethane.

It was on the modern birchlike 922 compliant WASR furniture, not the old combloc laminate.
Here is the before and after...View attachment 2243781 View attachment 2243785

That red finish looks great!

Back
Top Bottom