• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Any watch people here???

eflat

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
7   0
Reaction score
I love watches. I just can't afford the big boys. I do have one nice watch, a Titanium Citizen Eco-Drive. The rest are just designer fashion watches like Fossils and such. I am debating on taking the plunge into a nice Hamilton, Grand Seiko, Tisso, vintage Rolex etc. Any of you guys dabble into watches? If so what do you got and what do you recommend in that $1000 - $2500 range.

Big time watch guy here. Bought and sold Rolex for years. I've owned almost everything there is to own at one time or another from $9K and below.

In that price range there is limited options for true high end brands but it really depends on what you like style, size wise and mechanically (auto, quartz, manual wind). Vintage rolex (datejust, submariner, GMT) are all 36-40mm so they are quite a bit smaller than todays current trend in the 42mm and up range. Rolex, Omega and Breitling all hold value well if you're looking for an investment and exceed the build quality of most other brands hands down.

Stay far away from Ebay. There are replica watches out there that are almost impossible to tell the difference even when opened because the works are engraved identical to the gen also. Some even come with genuine parts mixed in to complicate ID further. The price will be higher at a local dealer but you'll be 100% on what you're getting.

I dabble in vintage Rolex watches from the late 80's to mid 90's. Just love the classic look and feel of the GMT Master and Submariner. You can find in the $3k and up range and will always be able to get your money back if not make a few dollars.

I've got a Rolex Submariner, love it. But it fell off a balcony onto pavement and broke the crystal. I almost cried. But now it sets in the box broken.

I've got a Rolex Submariner, love it. But it fell off a balcony onto pavement and broke the crystal. I almost cried. But now it sets in the box broken.

Get that thing fixed. Most local jewelry stores have watch makers that they farm out watch repair too. A non-gen crystal for a 16610 submariner installed by a watch maker should only run you about $200. A gen crystal would be about $100 more installed.

Mayors is a Rolex cert. dealer/repair store. Take it to them if you want it done by a Rolex trained watch pro.

Back
Top Bottom