Anybody convert the headlamps to HID or LED units.

greg vess

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
Elite Idiot
120   1
Reaction score
My headlights have glazed ( oxidized) over and its time for new ones. The whole replacement assemblies only cost around 70 bucks for the pair and even come with the Halogen bulbs. Really the only way to go because they are a snap to replace. Takes about 5 minutes per side and by the time you buy a headlight restore kit and take the time to use it they still don't look anything like new or throw out light like new lens assemblies do.

Now to the meat of the thread. I live in the mountains of Virginia and at night extra light is always a good thing. Deer are abundant and the farther and brighter the light is the better the chance of spotting one early. Not to mention there are no street lamps. I feel like a upgrade is in order because I will be replacing the whole assembly on both sides. My question is, what is better and the easiest to install ? Doing the work myself is not an issue I just want the best option for my situation.
Thank you and God bless you and yours
Greg Vess

I replaced mine 2 years ago on my old truck. They were frosted yellow. Tried many different repair kits over the years but they're all just a temporary fix. I replaced them and put the new bright white halogen lights in it, get flashed all the time people thinking I have my brights on

I did mine last year on my old truck. I put the new bright white halogen lights in it, get flashed all the time people thinking I have my brights on
Any halogen bulb is just another variation of an OEM headlight. I am talking about HID ( xenon ) or the ultra bright LED option they have out now. Both the HID and LED lights last between 15,000 to 45,000 hours and are far more efficient. They said glare on other driver could be a problem but I know how to adjust for that. The difference in lumens generated are phenomenal.

I upgraded the headlights on a 2010 Ford F150 Raptor I owned to LED. I ordered the Sealight brand LED bulbs off Amazon based on reviews. 40000 Lumen H13/9008 LED lights with built in cooling fans. The headlights were direct plug in. Unfortunately the fog lights required a wiring splice although they were suppossedly direct fit as well. Worth the $90 in my opinion. Great upgrade over the factory headlights.

I've replaced incandescent lamps with LED lamps in two cars. Just Amazon specials. They are much brighter and whiter, all DOT approved.

I've found the ones with built in cooling fans are brighter, but I do find the fan noise noticeable when the car is stopped. Not super loud, mind you, but enough that I kept asking "what is that noise?" Until I figured it out. I can't hear it over road noise.

Go with LED....
I have done both. Back a few years ago HIDs were the way to go. Requires some wiring, transformer mounting, etc.
But now LED technology has grown and as another member stated, they are basically plug in replacements. Actually I even replace my HIDs with LED.

LED bulbs are the way to go. Plug and play. I’ve done them in two trucks now. Just make sure you aim them properly or they’ll blind the piss out of oncoming traffic.

I installed LED bulbs in factory OEM headlight housing, the key is buying the better bulbs with the correct cut-off so you don't get that scatter effect, and yes you need to also make sure they are aimed properly. I put them in both of my trucks about 5 years ago, and I have not had any problems with them.

Attachments

• S-V.4 LED.jpg
    S-V.4 LED.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 9
I installed LED bulbs in factory OEM headlight housing, the key is buying the better bulbs with the correct cut-off so you don't get that scatter effect, and yes you need to also make sure they are aimed properly. I put them in both of my trucks about 5 years ago, and I have not had any problems with them.

Those SV4 lights are amazing. Really nice cutoff in Jeep headlight housings and super bright.

Our Mini has either LED or HID lights for the low beams .
It is such a white light that we have never used or needed the high beams and we don’t get flashed at night .

If it was high up on a “bubba truck “ the incoming traffic might flash , I dunno .

I’m not sure which kind of lights it is , the former owner had the empty boxes where they bought them in the trunk and there’s a box of each , I think the fogs are led .

Back
Top Bottom