• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anybody convert the headlamps to HID or LED units.

I installed LED bulbs in factory OEM headlight housing, the key is buying the better bulbs with the correct cut-off so you don't get that scatter effect, and yes you need to also make sure they are aimed properly. I put them in both of my trucks about 5 years ago, and I have not had any problems with them.
Yes. Please God re adjust the beam. I'm going to tint one of my vehicles for freaking night time driving because of the lights on other vehicles these days!

I got tired of replacing filament bulbs in my 2010 F-150 and got on Amazon and bought replacement LEDs for EVERY light on it. Headlamps, fog lights, side markers, turn signals, tail and brakes, backups, tag lights and the cab mounted stop and cargo bed lights and internal dome light. Everything works perfectly and brighter (e.g. in the cab with the dome light).

It took me about 3 hours and cost probably less than $200. I'm expecting on not having to replace any bulbs again. Well worth it.

The key is the reflectors are designed to work with the pattern of light emitted by the OEM bulb type. Change the bulb type and quite often the reflector is a poor match.

The key is the reflectors are designed to work with the pattern of light emitted by the OEM bulb type. Change the bulb type and quite often the reflector is a poor match.
I didn't find that to be the case with any part of the replacements I did. Optics are much the same as RF and antenna reflectors and when placed at the right focal point along with LED bulb emission patterns it works. At least it did for me.

I didn't find that to be the case with any part of the replacements I did. Optics are much the same as RF and antenna reflectors and when placed at the right focal point along with LED bulb emission patterns it works. At least it did for me.
According to the article I read which tested a variety of replacement upgrade bulbs of different types and the major factor in poor performance / dazzle was incompatibility between the bulb and reflector design, some worked fine, other not, so really a matter of luck. I suspect the led replacements are a bit more likely to work than the other types.

when placed at the right focal point along with LED bulb emission patterns it works.

I agree. Some LED replacements do not have the LEDs in the same location/direction as the halogen counterparts and the light is either focused or scattered accordingly by the reflectors. No standard with some manufacturers. Just what I have found and everyone will have different opinions like belly buttons.

Back
Top Bottom