• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anybody Know What This Bug Is?

4ssss

Army Icon Supporter
ODT Junkie!
43   0
Reaction score
This thing flew over to the bush, and it's about 3-4" long. I know I ain't ever seen one of these. Anyone know what it is?

Attachments

• IMG_5602.jpeg
    IMG_5602.jpeg
    169.6 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_5595.jpeg
    IMG_5595.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_5600.jpeg
    IMG_5600.jpeg
    165.5 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_5598.jpeg
    IMG_5598.jpeg
    188.1 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_5595.jpeg
    IMG_5595.jpeg
    196 KB · Views: 189
Hard to gauge the 'scale' so , if it's large i'd think it's a Grasshopper / Locust .

If small 'Control for Smilers ' ( love that handle ) LOL , Is likely correct .
Adult dobsonflies are some of the largest non-Lepidopteran insects of temperate zones such as the United States and Canada, with a wingspan of up to 18 cm (7.1 in) in some species of Corydalus.[3] The Asian Acanthacorydalis fruhstorferi can have a wingspan of up to 21.6 cm (8.5 in), making it the largest dobsonfly and the largest aquatic insect in the world by this measurement.[4][5] The wings vary from a grayish to translucent shade, depending on the species, and the anal region of the hindwing is wide and folded at rest. Despite the large wings, adults are weak, fluttery fliers. The body is soft and coloration varies from yellow to dark shades of brown.[3] The body typically does not surpass 7.5 cm (3.0 in) in length,[3] although the largest Asian Acanthacorydalis may reach 10.5 cm (4.1 in).[6]

For 3 years, they live in clean, freshwater streams as wormy things before crawling out and morphing into winged creatures, mating, laying eggs and dying.. all in one season.

Male Dobson Fly doesn't bit, female will. They look different.

It's said that having Dobson Fly's around your property means you have healthy, non-polluted flowing waters around you :thumb:
We use to flip rocks over in the creek lookin for crawdadz and those Lil boogers would run out.

Never messed with em tho.

We also drank from that stream then. It was clear an clean.

Back
Top Bottom