• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anybody raising chickens?

77REBELBOWTIE

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
43   0
Reaction score
After discussing it for a few weeks, we bought some chicks today. We are looking forward to the fresh eggs and chicken.
We have them inside for now. The coop will be built this weekend, if we can decide on a design. Post some pics of your coops, to give us ideas.
What are some helpful tips for a new chicken owner?

They're are some cool youtube vids on different types of coops and construction...I would recommend an auto door if you can swing it.

I can't help you with the coop as I just threw something up figuring they would not make it too long. My children purchased them and they take care of 'em. I never knew chickens had that much personality, they are actually pretty cool.

Shortly thereafter, my son and I added a run. Funny thing is they are free range and are locked up at sundown. They actually come back to the coop on their own.

It's nice to get a half dozen or so eggs everyday, they sure are good!

I am thinking hard about getting some rabbits..........

Last edited:
They're are some cool youtube vids on different types of coops and construction...I would recommend an auto door if you can swing it.

I can't help you with the coop as I just threw something up figuring they would not make it too long. My children purchased them and they take care of 'em. I never knew chickens had that much personality, they are actually pretty cool.

Shortly thereafter, my son and I added a run. Funny thing is they are free range and are locked up at sundown. They actually come back to the coop on their own.

It's nice to get a half dozen or so eggs everyday, they sure are good!

I am thinking hard about getting some rabbits..........

me and my dad are about to buy a few.. wish we would have done it a few months ago so we could have had a lil pocket change now lol.. but before we know it we will have more then we know what to do lol

I have three. My kids thought it would be fun letting them run around the yard, they **** everywhere. I had to build them a pen/coop i made something simple 4 corner post, wrapped wire around it , slapped a door on it , and built them something to get inside in case it rains. We have 2 hens and a rooster they came out of a layer house, i haven't gotten any eggs yet. I think there is some type of laying mash that helps them lay eggs might wanna check into that.

i39.tinypic.com_102m537.jpg

i44.tinypic.com_9sq6u9.jpg

Tried last spring. My daughter raised the chicks inside and I put them empty dog kennel. Critters got the first two. I put the third one in a large dog crate at night. Critter got him first night. ...even through the bars of the crate. Discouraging. May try again, but don't have time this year...at least to raise from chicks. Thought maybe grown ones would be more hardy.

I have three. My kids thought it would be fun letting them run around the yard, they **** everywhere. I had to build them a pen/coop i made something simple 4 corner post, wrapped wire around it , slapped a door on it , and built them something to get inside in case it rains. We have 2 hens and a rooster they came out of a layer house, i haven't gotten any eggs yet. I think there is some type of laying mash that helps them lay eggs might wanna check into that.

Yeah, we feed 'em the 16% protein laying mash....they make a 22% I think. I was told it is the protein that makes 'em lay and the 22% will make 'em lay more. We are getting an egg a day per hen, so I am staying on the 16%.

Oh yeah, they love left over cheese toast too !

My mom raised hens when she was growing up and she suggested that we crunch up the shells and mix it in with their food (more protein???) Anyways, we just throw the shells in the yard as they are as it's much more fun to watch the hens bust them up.

Back
Top Bottom