• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody seen any white tails yet this morning?

Were you hunting over a food plot? Or did you catch her going to the food plot?

No I was in an area I scouted over the summer which was halfway up a very steep but gradual sloped mountain.
There were several high traffic deer paths with tracks everywhere including bear tracks and overturned rocks.

The only food plot there was good ol Natural acorns a plenty.

I was drowsy and felt like nodding off but I just happened to see some cautious movement in my peripheral and spotted one.
Then two more with more in the distance.
They came down the mountain and crossed in front of me and came back up my way.
I had the wind in my face and took a while to find the perfect tree and location for the terrain and it all paid off.
My buddy didn't go far into the woods and didn't feel like walking up the big trail.
I went up another half mile from him and decided to see if my scouting over the summer would pay off.
It ain't fun dragging by yourself
With a climber a pack and a crossbow.
Tore most of the hide off one side.

Got on stand at about 2:30 and had a big yote come within ten yards around 3:00. He was moving to fast for a shot with a bow. Then nothing but tree rats for the rest of the day.

My scent control is working well. He followed the same trail I had used coming in and had no idea I was there.

Got on stand at about 2:30 and had a big yote come within ten yards around 3:00. He was moving to fast for a shot with a bow. Then nothing but tree rats for the rest of the day.

My scent control is working well. He followed the same trail I had used coming in and had no idea I was there.
What do you use for scent control?

What do you use for scent control?
Dead Down Wind Natural Woods Scent Cloths Wash and Dryer Sheets. DDW scent free body / hair wash and antiperspirant. I put it all in airtight bags with HS Fresh Earth wafers.

I wear street clothes that have been prepared the same way driving to the woods and change into my hunting gear there. Everything gets this treatment. Cloths, boots, pack. Even socks, underwear and the towel I dry off with after the shower I take just before I leave for the woods.

I've had deer within ten yards down wind of me while I was on the ground after sweating for ten hours. They had no clue.

What do you use to cover & attract?

Dead down wind products are awesome.
They have a powder scent attractant that is like fine ground flour with little bits of something mixed in.
Whatever it is it's sweet smelling and it drives them mad.
I put a few puffs on my boots and puff it every 30 yards or so on my walk in.
Then in a triangular pattern at three points 30 yards apart around my stand.
I've had them follow my footsteps and look up my ladder for the source of that smell.
I'll have to snap a pic of that stuff.

It does. I put down quite a few with it, including a big hog. I sent an arrow lengthwise through a big doe once when I had no other shot. Entered the front of chest between the legs and exited through the pelvis bone and all the way out the back... not fun field dressing that one.

Looks like you did half the gutting by the shot alone.

image.jpeg
My wife has a great tan line so kindaof a white tail...

Back
Top Bottom