• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anybody watch f1?

I started watching in about '92....back when the cars looked better and sounded better.

Don't watch as much now because the series isn't as good in my opinion. Just not as much fun as it used to be back whn you had V8s, V10s and V12s all competing.

I've followed F1 since the days of the only US coverage being Rob Walker's columns in Road & Track, and the Monaco GP highlights on ABC's Wide World of Sports. I certainly appreciate the technology, but part of me wishes they still had 1200 lb. cars, screaming 12 cyl. engines and manual transmissions. Then we would see who can really drive.
Before my time, but I prefer the days when the "formula" was a list of requirements, and you could field anything that met those requirements. That was the whole point of the sport (and the name).
Nowadays, it's more "build this car, any way you want (as long as we agree)". The fact that the teams will exploit any "loophole" in the rules was what made the sport interesting.
Like the V8/V10/V12 cars, or the 4-front-wheel car.
6-wheeled-car.jpg

The 6 wheeled Terril was a car built to exploit a loop hole in the rules. F1 reduced the size of the front tire so the engineers at Terril added an extra set of tires to make up for the loss of size in the contact patch.

Before my time, but I prefer the days when the "formula" was a list of requirements, and you could field anything that met those requirements. That was the whole point of the sport (and the name).
Nowadays, it's more "build this car, any way you want (as long as we agree)". The fact that the teams will exploit any "loophole" in the rules was what made the sport interesting.
Like the V8/V10/V12 cars, or the 4-front-wheel car.
6-wheeled-car.jpg

Before my fandom started, but that sure looks like a hell of a lot of fun!

The 6 wheeled Terril was a car built to exploit a loop hole in the rules. F1 reduced the size of the front tire so the engineers at Terril added an extra set of tires to make up for the loss of size in the contact patch.
That's what I mean. That's what the sport is all about. That's where technology advances come from.
(Not necessarily 6 wheels, but things like traction control, ABS, active suspension).
"The rules don't say we can't." Until they do.

watch it every weekend and Max is a dck but so are mst of them that are winning regularly.

The worlds largest dickhead. Also the best. God given talent and work ethic. He won a race a couple months back (obviously) and went home and won an I racing tourney like 14 hours later. It’s a mastery that leaves me hoping for a mechanical ver dnf every week cause there are some great drivers out there and it’s fun to watch them battle. Idk just take away rb drs and watch them still move through the field but at least we’ll have some battles before 2026. Excited about Piastri. Kids talented.

Back
Top Bottom