Anyone an EMT or Paramedic??

Status
Not open for further replies.

spar1790

Default rank <4000 posts
ODT Junkie!
108   0
Reaction score
I have an opportunity to attend a 47 day course for EMT certification. Is anyone here an EMT or Paramedic? How long have you been one and do you have any study material/ recommended websites I read up on? Maybe even a decent book or two.. Any little bit of information helps so I dont go to school looking like a fool. I currently hold a CPR and 1st Aid certification but that about sums up my medical experience. Thanks in advance.. :confused:

Last edited:
As far as I understand its the basic cert and depending on how I do, the schooling will continue or cease. Its 40 hrs per week for 3 weeks minimum and 5 weeks maximum depending on the particular class I attend. Based on what I read basic cert is 120 hrs minimum. Does any of this sound right or am I still way off. This is like a foreign language to me. I took two practice quizes and scored a 70 and an 80 with approx 25% guesses. :redface:

I took A EMT-I class and am studying for national registry at the moment. My class was 6m long and that was the shortest I have heard of. I'm not familiar with any classes that are that short that cert. for EMT. That must be for basic, guessing? Alot of websites, most you have to pay for, have practice questions that will prepare you for "national registry", which is the two part national test to receive your license. It's one part practical(4 hands on stations) and a computer aptitude test( having a hard time, failed this twice). Good luck!

Last edited:
Do you have a specific course description that you can link for me. Right now GA ems recognizes 3 levels EMT-B, EMT-I, and Paramedic. We can take this to PM if you want

From USCG website.. PM sounds good to me.

http://www.uscg.mil/petaluma/HS_School/schedule.asp

Medical Support Schools “C” School class convening dates

EMT BASIC CERTIFICATION

Course Code:

Duration:

47 DAYS

How To Apply:

submit Electronic Training Request via Direct Access

Prerequisites:

NA

Special Info:

Submit ETR for desired session. In the ETR comments block, include the following information: District; Unit; express need for training; list possible alternative dates. It is imperative to include your District and Unit on all ETRs. For example: D17; ANT KODIAK; urgent request, only one other member at unit EMT qualified; ALT Dates: 01Jan05, 01Mar05.

Purpose

This course provides classroom instruction and practical experience for emergency medical care given to ill or injured persons. It is a 240 hour intensive, college level course. Students will be completing both written and practical examinations. Following successful completion of all USCG EMT School requirements, students will take the practical and cognitive examinations for the National Registry of Emergency Medical Technicians (NREMT).

I took A EMT-I class and am studying for national registry at the moment. My class was 6m long and that was the shortest I have heard of. I'm not familiar with any classes that are that short that cert. for EMT. That must be for basic, guessing?

Many fire departments offer a 16 week EMT-I course but its an intese daily class. Tech schools the program is a year for the most part. All depends on how the course is structured.

I went to a school in villa rica that offered the class. Went two nights a week 6-10 and you are correct, was super intense and class started with over 30 students, about half made it through, if that. It's no joke and shouldn't be taken lightly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom