• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone carry your own personal defense loads?

I guess my takeaway point here is that if its only about reducing potential risk, because there is not enough real world data to really indicate a true risk, then this is just a small piece of the overall puzzle. I'd say that there are plenty of other factors that will reduce risk to a greater degree than whether someone uses hand loads in their SD weapon.

As I said, we always have these so called "experts" telling us to do this or that...and then they and all their followers insist that if everyone doesn't follow their word as gospel then they must be crazy. Well, that's fine if you have deal data to back it up. If you don't, then you need to say so. Until you have something real to show me you're right, don't act like I'm the moron or not listening to you.

It's often said that the beliefs with the least evidence are held the most strongly. The endless debates we see on gun boards just confirms this...OC vs CC, AK vs AR, .45 vs 9mm, wheel gun vs auto, whatever. No homerun, knockout, conclusive data to really tip the scales one way or the other, but people will metaphorically fight to the death for their opinion.

Fwiw, right now, all my carry guns are full of factory ammo. That's because I haven't yet worked up a SD load I'm comfortable carrying. If/when I do get something I'm comfortable carrying, I will certainly do so.

as is normally the case in discussions it wanders into areas that have no bearing for any practical point of the discussion!
Now certified law enforcement can quit reading if you wish!
first FBI requirements for ammunition are quite different than Joe Average should be concerned with.
well unless you are planning on shooting through vehicles, barriers or getting into extended shoot outs and have the ability to hang on until more help arrives.
as well what depeartments mandate for certified police officers that are expected to defend the masses, remain on the scene and carry out the fight to the perp until he is stopped or again help shows up is quite different than the citizen that is encountered by a felon on a dark parking lot at 2 in the morning, normally only 1 or 2 felons and the citizen has the ability (common sense) to fire and retreat, or simply retreat, the citizen is NOT required nor expected to defend anyione including himself unless he decides to.
Nor is it likley that someone is going to call you on a radio and send you to check on a weirdo that may have 19 AK-47;s and thousands of rounds of ammo and expect you to walk up to the door and talk to him.
different conditions of why , much like trying to compare what the military does in fighting a war, not really applicable to the streets.
well unless you can call in F-18s; if you need them!
what you carry in your gun is not nearly as important as your ability to hit what you shoot at and that the ammunition properly functions in the weapon, whether its home rolled or store bought!

Back
Top Bottom