• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone carry your own personal defense loads?

07JKX

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
106   0
Reaction score
All legal ramifications aside... Does anyone carry their own self defense loads? I have loaded and fired only approximately a measley 1000 rounds of various 45, 9mm, 308, and 44 mag without a single failure. I am confident in my ability to reload reliable ammunition.

I would like to train more with hotter hollow point loads but I am not willing to pay over $1 per shot as I would with the current hornady critical defense that I carry. Vi really like the hornady xtp and have gotten very close to the accuracy and velocity of the hornady cd which push on average 1015 fps out of my g30sf.

Anyone carry your own loads? How many rounds did you fire before you would trust you life to them?

I have loaded some of the Hornady XTP .45 and carried it in the past. While I did not carry it exclusively, I had a few magazines that were loaded with it. If they were near by I had no reservations with the rounds being in there.

Every one of the rounds I loaded were done a single round at a time, which I like to think is more care than can be taken on a factory load that is put together on an assembly line by someone that is not going to shoot it.

185 GDHP.jpgThose Evil Federal Primers.jpgGDHP.jpgI am currently carrying 185 gr gold dot's in my 1911 for personal defense. These are rounds that I loaded. I feel confident that they will perform when I need them or I would not carry them.

Last edited:
I have some 255 Grain Cast Lead Keith Style SWC's with gas checks that don't need to be loaded too hot... they will get the job done just fine!
They sit in my .45LC along side my bed. I feel that a decent weight wad-cutter loaded to standard velocities is a tremendous SD load in any pistol.

I have some 255 Grain Cast Lead Keith Style SWC's with gas checks that don't need to be loaded too hot... they will get the job done just fine!
They sit in my .45LC along side my bed. I feel that a decent weight wad-cutter loaded to standard velocities is a tremendous SD load in any pistol.

In a revolver a SWC cant be beat! They will absolutely make you have a very bad day.

230gr ball ammo....Home Grown!!...every day

umm... I have a police video and pictures from one of our cases where a client was pulled over ... freaked out ... and shot himself in the chest with a 230grn fmj... sitting in the driver seat the bullet exited and hit the passenger door but failed to exit the vehicle.

little hole in, little hole out and he just wraithes around on the ground as police walk around him.

now granted... one .45 did in fact drop him to the ground. lol

the worst part is the cop kicked a beautiful 1911 about 10 feet across the pavement. very sad

umm... I have a police video and pictures from one of our cases where a client was pulled over ... freaked out ... and shot himself in the chest with a 230grn fmj... sitting in the driver seat the bullet exited and hit the passenger door but failed to exit the vehicle.

little hole in, little hole out and he just wraithes around on the ground as police walk around him.

now granted... one .45 did in fact drop him to the ground. lol

the worst part is the cop kicked a beautiful 1911 about 10 feet across the pavement. very sad

I want to cry.:sad:

Something to think about if you carry the ammo you reload with and shoot someone with it. It's highly likely if the DA find out you reloaded that ammo and he's decided to prosecute you, he's going to make a big deal about your "specially loaded killer ammo" or some such. You're much better off, if you have to shoot someone, to do it with the same ammo your local police department carries. That way, if you're asked, you can say: "I use the same ammunition the police department uses, because I wanted to be sure and be safe." Hard to be critical of the local police department for the DA.

Just a thought.

Dave

Something to think about if you carry the ammo you reload with and shoot someone with it. It's highly likely if the DA find out you reloaded that ammo and he's decided to prosecute you, he's going to make a big deal about your "specially loaded killer ammo" or some such. You're much better off, if you have to shoot someone, to do it with the same ammo your local police department carries. That way, if you're asked, you can say: "I use the same ammunition the police department uses, because I wanted to be sure and be safe." Hard to be critical of the local police department for the DA.

Just a thought.

Dave

I have a hard time following this logic..Although I see where you are coming from, you are either justified in using lethal force, or you are not. If the ammo is "specially loaded killer ammo" or any other ammo that is legal to own, the topic is irrelevant. A private citizen has no standards of escalation of force. If the ammo happens to be more deadly, then it just means the individual made a better choice in ammo.

Under that logic why would we not all use fmj ammo instead of hollowpoints for self defense? Or shoot someone in the knee rather than center of mass to stop a threat? Perhaps I am mistaken, but those are my thoughts.

Back
Top Bottom