• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone cast their own bullets?

Flammenwerfer

Default rank <4500 posts
Úlfhéthnar
61   0
Reaction score
Does anyone have any definitive material on casting bullets, either printed or a web site? I'm looking to start casting my own, but I want to do it right. I have the means and the patience, I just need the knowledge.

I did over hear a couple of older gentleman saying "casting your own rifle bullets can damage rifles, but it was ok for pistol rounds" does that statement lend any weight?

Oh, and yes you can cast rifle bullets no problem. I think they just meant you have absolutely got to use gas checks in high pressure situations. I make 30 cal .308 bullets never had any problems. Either haven't shot enough to have fouling problems or the gas checks take care of that too, dunno.

I used to cast, but only for my black powder. We would dig lead out of the dirt backstop and melt over a blowtorch. I wouldn't use it for modern arms though. There is no way to insure quality when you melt your own lead.

yeah nonlib hit it on the head higher preasure means a bigger bang and bigger bang means hotter and the lead melts and leaves little smears down the barrel so with a rifle round I would use a gas check. I cast as well and actually just casted 494 124 grain 9mm projectiles yesterday that im about to knock out of the panlube I had it in over night so me and the lady can go make sweet boom boom noise before nonliberals party tonight (you should come if you are free and get down with your bad self). I don't use gas checks in my 9mm ammo but after about 300 rounds shot thru it I have to do some heavy cleaning of the barrel to keep the accuracy of my loads up.

oh yeah when using cast projectiles you have to use lube so look into what method of lubing you want to do. I chose pan lubing because its easy, cheap, and works well

yeah nonlib hit it on the head higher preasure means a bigger bang and bigger bang means hotter and the lead melts and leaves little smears down the barrel so with a rifle round I would use a gas check. I cast as well and actually just casted 494 124 grain 9mm projectiles yesterday that im about to knock out of the panlube I had it in over night so me and the lady can go make sweet boom boom noise before nonliberals party tonight (you should come if you are free and get down with your bad self). I don't use gas checks in my 9mm ammo but after about 300 rounds shot thru it I have to do some heavy cleaning of the barrel to keep the accuracy of my loads up.

I made some sweet boom boom noise with the wife this morning too

Back
Top Bottom