• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone cast their own bullets?

yeah nonlib hit it on the head higher preasure means a bigger bang and bigger bang means hotter and the lead melts and leaves little smears down the barrel so with a rifle round I would use a gas check. I cast as well and actually just casted 494 124 grain 9mm projectiles yesterday that im about to knock out of the panlube I had it in over night so me and the lady can go make sweet boom boom noise before nonliberals party tonight (you should come if you are free and get down with your bad self). I don't use gas checks in my 9mm ammo but after about 300 rounds shot thru it I have to do some heavy cleaning of the barrel to keep the accuracy of my loads up.

do you size them

I have been casting bullets for about 10 years now and can say i still have alot to learn, but you can shoot cast in anything that goes bang if you go about it right, some guns are easier than others esp. when it comes to rifles. I currently shoot cast bullets in all my pistols my 30-30, m1 garand and just recently i got a 70 gr 223 mold. Ive just shot the first few magazines thru my ar with it and it looks promising. its alot of fun and you learn a lot about reloading from so much experimentation. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ is a great place to learn.

Does anyone have any definitive material on casting bullets, either printed or a web site? I'm looking to start casting my own, but I want to do it right. I have the means and the patience, I just need the knowledge.

I did over hear a couple of older gentleman saying "casting your own rifle bullets can damage rifles, but it was ok for pistol rounds" does that statement lend any weight?

What caliber? I like casting for 38-45 revolvers and 30-30 Winchester 94

You will need:
$20.00 Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4
$40.00 RCBS Casting Thermometer for 700-750 degrees casting temp
$50.00 Lee 20lb Magnum melter pot.
$20.00 Lyman or RCBS Ladle
$20.00 Lee Sizer kit with Alox
$80.00 RCBS Plain base bullet mould...these are easy to cast with
$40.00 RCBS Handles
..........Free Candle wax for fluxing lead melt

$270.00 total.

Thats not including price of good casting lead

Last edited:
does anyone have a 9mm mold, either 124 or 147g, that they have good luck with? My cousin has the equipment to cast, other than a sizing set up and a 9mm mold. Looking to get some made up within a month or two.

Appreciate it guys

NRA publication CAST BULLETS by Col. E.H. Harrison (ret) you can get excellent cast bullet accuracy read book first before buying equipment. I get sub MOA from 30/06 and 308 bolt guns with 200 gr bullets in 1800 fps range out to 300 yrds. takes some work and experimenting that the fun of it. good bargins with Lee equipment lyman makes some best molds.

Back
Top Bottom