• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone check/track their average progressive speed?

I loaded 20 rounds of 308 last night (LC brass, 168 A-max over 42.5 grains of VIHT N150 in just over an hour. Single stage LNL press. Started with clean brass. Yep, I’m slow.
Takes me a long time to run 50 rounds on my MEC, but they come out extremely consistent and highly accurate. Can't get that kind of precision fast.

I'm running a 650 with the case feeder and bullet feeder. Never timed an hour run, but can load 1500- 9mm , including filling 15 SPP tubes in less than 2 hours. I've done 12k in one rainy day recently. I'm usually knocking out large batches before doing caliber changes.

That's awesome! I thought about automating/upgrading the LnL, but I just don't shoot enough to justify it.

If I go any faster than 200/20minutes on my 650, something will give me an issue. Feel Free to Laugh Out Loud, I know I am not the only guy with these issues.

These are some of the more common problems that I run into:
broken decapping pin, broken plastic rig that advances the shell plate-underside, case feeder jam up at the top of the funnel, misaligned primer, 40 stuck in case feeder tube when loading 9mm, or simple upside down case in the feed tube.

Or the worst: just loaded 3000 rounds, and they fit in every chamber except my Match barreled gun. I normally like to keep a lot of supplies on hand, but try to only load a few hundred at a time, between range sessions.

I’ve never timed myself, but I’m not near as fast as most of everybody here. I’m like 1006, if I get in a hurry I’ll mess up something. Being close to 70 hasn’t got anything to do with it.

I’ve never timed myself, but I’m not near as fast as most of everybody here. I’m like 1006, if I get in a hurry I’ll mess up something. Being close to 70 hasn’t got anything to do with it.
I sure hope I'm still able to shoot and reload when I'm 70! But at the rate I seem to be falling apart, it's not looking good.:grey:

If I go any faster than 200/20minutes on my 650, something will give me an issue. Feel Free to Laugh Out Loud, I know I am not the only guy with these issues.

These are some of the more common problems that I run into:
broken decapping pin, broken plastic rig that advances the shell plate-underside, case feeder jam up at the top of the funnel, misaligned primer, 40 stuck in case feeder tube when loading 9mm, or simple upside down case in the feed tube.

Or the worst: just loaded 3000 rounds, and they fit in every chamber except my Match barreled gun. I normally like to keep a lot of supplies on hand, but try to only load a few hundred at a time, between range sessions.
Yeah, when I push the speed up, the mistakes & malfunctions start to mount.

The production rates are all about the same to me in both LnL and 650xl. I dont drink either of the koolaids. I think they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

If you are having issues with your LnL primers, I recommend few changes.
1) Cam wire cap. This completely fixes issues with cam regarding the primer feed
https://www.blackcatworks.com/Hornady-LNL-AP-Primer-Cam-Wire-Bracket_p_15.html

2) Primer selection. CCI, S&B works best. winchester, Tulammo can be iffy

3) Set the primer alignment properly and you will never miss a primer

If you are having issues with breaking de-primer pins:
1) remove the de-primer rod
2) start with a resized brass in de-prime position #1.
3) bring the bras into the die (without the rod). cam over the top and leave it in.
4) insert your de-primer rod into the die/brass. tighten while the pin is in the brass
5) bring the brass back down

What you have done now using this process is to align the de-priming rod in the right spot for a brass that is aligned with your die.

You should be able to de-prime without issues going forward.

Just keep in mind that hornady has a tight tolerance and the tolerance is jeapordized by how fast you bring a brass into the die. so slow it down when you resize

If this doesnt work for you, then use Lee Dies. The de-primer is much more stout

THANK YOU FOR THAT!!

Back
Top Bottom