• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone Doing Large Batch Ultra Sonic Brass Cleaning?

Clarke123

Default rank <4500 posts
Love Them UGA Dogs!
196   0
Reaction score
WAS: Cumming, GA NOW: Punta Gorda, Florida
Anyone doing LARGE BATCH Ultra-Sonic Brass Cleaning? LARGE being defined as a cleaner capacity of 6 liters or (preferably) more.

I ask the question because I have the large size Harbor Freight Ultra-Sonic Cleaner (2.5 Liter) and have found that it does a very acceptable job on SMALL batches (100 Cases or less) and CHOKES on larger batches. I do the cleaning with ½ teaspoon-full of Lemi-Shine and allow the cases to sit in this solution no more than 15 minutes as Lemi-Shine appears to contain BOTH Acidic & Citric Acids. Acidic Acid (a primary ingredient of Vinegar) will slowly and relentlessly pit and leech out copper / zinc components of brass. On the other hand, Citric Acid is actually good for brass (GOOGLE it!)

The US cleaning cycle is normally 2 x 8 Minutes followed by a clean water rinse and 15 minute soak in a mild Citric Acid solution. The brass is then rinsed again and “air dried” over night with results better than vibratory, but not as good as wet SS tumbling. This is a subjective "re-load-ability", not "beauty contest" judgment based on case cleanliness inside and primer pocket residue removed. Results: While the primer pockets are much cleaner (than vibratory), the cases are “bright” and largely spot-free, but not as “shiny”.

I am experimenting with a longer “pre-soak” of brass in a mild Citric Acid solution in an attempt to soften primer pocket residue and improve Ultra Sonic Cleaner performance.
BTW: There is a good amount of information already posted on brass cleaning using Stainless Steel Tumbling. I personally have a one that I built and am quite satisfied with it … However, alternatives that are less labor-intensive are always good to consider!

Hopefully, the following links will provide future inquirers answers and save them from having to post the question “SS Tumbling” again:
http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/th...sing-stainless-tumbling?highlight=Ultra+Sonic
http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/threads/91211-Stainless-Steel-tumbling?highlight=Ultra+Sonic

Back
Top Bottom