• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Anyone else have a S&W CSX?

spencer60

Default rank 5000+ posts Lifetime Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
286   0
Reaction score
Curious on what people who have them think of this little 9mm.

I picked one up about a month or so back, and while I've only gotten it to the range a couple of times, I've been pretty impressed with it. I like the ergonomics and the overall feel and it seems as accurate as any other micro-9 I've tried. Weight is the same as my P365 and capacity is better for the same size.

So far though, every review I've seen of it seems to slam the trigger. Hickock45 went as far as calling it dangerous because he had so many problems shooting it. A couple of other podcasts I listen to haven't gone that far, but complained that it didn't feel like a good trigger. I've heard it called mushy and people seem to hate the reset on it. One reviewer simply said that it was the worst trigger he'd felt in years, but couldn't really explain why.

This really has me confused, because my gun's trigger seems just fine... Better than the trigger in my EDC P365 in fact. I'll be the first to admit that it's not a 'glass rod' 1911 trigger, but it pulls at 4-5 lbs. without any hiccups or roughness.

I guess I'm really just curious whether I got the only CSX ever made that has a decent trigger, or is it simply people expect a 1911 trigger in a gun that looks like a mini 1911?

First ones that came out, like the ones in the first few weeks after they announced them, had an audible double reset. The last half dozen I’ve felt haven’t had that issue. That’s the only thing I’ve experienced with the trigger. It isn’t a custom shop 1911 trigger but it certainly isn’t bad.

After looking into them I gotta say I'm very interested in one.

When I first saw the magazine advertisement for the CSX, my first thought was "yyyaaaaasssss!" but then I realized it was a SAO gun…. I’m not a very big fan of carrying "cocked and locked"….

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When I first saw the magazine advertisement for the CSX, my first thought was "yyyaaaaasssss!" but then I realized it was a SAO gun…. I’m not a very big fan of carrying "cocked and locked"….

Well to me the comparable options are loaded striker fired.

I like a concealed/have around pistol to not be hair fire and to even potentially have a safety. I love a good da to sa pistol but in the compact world that's not usual.

Why do you not like cocked and locked? If your worried about potentially not being able to release the safety then why not just keep it cocked and inside a holster?

I've got one. I've put about 100 rounds? More or less anyway, all my reloads, mostly 115 grain Berry's Plated RN, with a double handful of various hollow points tossed in at random. No malfunctions. The trigger on mine breaks at 4.5-5.0 pounds. Accuracy is at worst, no worse than I normally shoot with a small gun. Sorry, I didn't measure groups. The safety feels good to me, going on and off with a nice solid "snick." The trigger safety hasn't been noticed at all.
The only complaint I had with it at first was the grips stippling was SHARP and almost painful to my soft "old man hands." I took a emery board and kind of hit the points just a tad, and didn't notice the problem the second time around.

So did the frame being metal as well have any noticable affect on decreasing snap? Did the front site not rise up too much when fired?

Well to me the comparable options are loaded striker fired.

I like a concealed/have around pistol to not be hair fire and to even potentially have a safety. I love a good da to sa pistol but in the compact world that's not usual.

Why do you not like cocked and locked? If your worried about potentially not being able to release the safety then why not just keep it cocked and inside a holster?

I guess the thought of having to "remember the safety" is just not something I want to do in a self-defense situation… I have a few compact SA/DA hammer fired pieces of hardware… Canik 55 (Tristar C100), CZ RAMI, Bersa TPR9C… all of which are hammer fired and with the first round being fired DA, there’s really no need for a safety. I have a striker fired P365 and a Hellcat I use for deep conceal carry and am ok with a light trigger…. my favorite compact is a Canik TP9 Elite SC with one of the nicest OEM triggers I’ve owned (about 4 lbs)…. but one definitely has to make certain they keep their finger off the "bang switch" unless ready/committed to fire!

Back
Top Bottom