• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone ever competed at a CMP match?

daytonlawvol

Default rank <1000 posts
Frontiersman
57   1
Reaction score
I have family in Ohio and am thinking about doing the John Garand match (only stock Garands, no modifications) in late July up in northern Ohio.

I have looked at the information and its very confusing...I just want to show up, shoot at targets, get score and have fun....but they make this stuff seem harder to figure out than theoretical physics. Anyone ever done one of these matches at the CMP in either Alabama or Ohio?

AAre you going to get to shoot at Camp Perry ?? THAT venue alone would be worth the hassle, to be able to shoot at such a famous range.

But, to answer your question directly, there's nothing very complicated about a CMP service rifle match or a special John C. Garand match. I've done both of them a few times. Don't worry about the NRA or CMP's official rules right now-- see if the range itself has a set of rules or instructions for how THEY run the match.
Memorize that.

Or make a "cheat sheet" of notes, laminate it with some clear packaging tape, and stick it in your range bag.

I shot these matches at Riverbend Gun Club in Dawsonville and one other range up in western New York.

You may need to buy or borrow a chamber flag (open bolt indicator).

You may need to EITHER get a couple of 2-round clips for your Garand, OR learn how to quickly load 2 rounds into a clip and charge the weapon, so you can shoot 2 shots, then reload a full clip of 8, and finish the 10-round string while the clock is ticking.

Back
Top Bottom