• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone ever seen this?

it was a joke sparky. A joke aimed at WC, not you at that. Wedge away makes no difference to me. I am sure your rifles are solid and reliable. You seem to take much more care in fitment than I ever did back when I was building ARs. Not necessarily a bad thing, especially if it makes you happy.

In truth, I used to wedge my guns back 20 years ago or so. I hated high shelf lowers because they meant I had to trim soooo much off the wedge. I finally stopped using them after one time too many having to find a punch to break down my rifle. I actually started trimming the detent springs for a while to make the take down pin easier to get out.

Now I am boring. I have built everything I wanted to build, and have converted 5 of my builds to SBRs. Besides those SBRs, I sold off everything else that wasn't factory Colt. I don't think I have pulled the trigger on an AR in over 3 years.

I don't even remember the last AR I built, but I know I had to go to a buddy's shop about 6 months ago to use his vise because I sold my vise with my house that I sold two houses ago.
I only have one factory AR15. It's a 2004 Bushmaster that is my only carry handle rifle and is a really good gun. The rest are my builds.
I keep my vice because I do all the work on my cars and build engines as well. NEW ENGINE HP UPGRADES OR CLEAN REBUILDS ONLY. I am no mood to screw with caked on grease and grime unless it's mine and is a repair. I do my own appliance repair and electrical work. So the vice comes in handy.
I am also slowing down on the builds. I just finished the Wilson Combat/ Daniel Defense build and unless someone wants one I am done for a while. I am going to keep on reloading though and I will keep on refinishing work since I enjoy breathing life into something rough and neglected.

And one thing I know for a fact. When tolerance stacking becomes an issue in in vehicle engine It's time for a rebuild or buy new engine, too many parts have worn to the point where they no longer function together and end up in catastrophic failure. Tolerance stacking is to much wear on multiple items and those items need to be replaced our machined and the block modified to accept the new machined parts.

That is not tolerance stacking. That is parts wearing to the point that they are no longer in spec, or no longer work together.

Tolerance stacking is when two or more new parts, all within spec, do not work properly together for one or more of several reasons. I’m not going to write an entire article on tolerance stacking. The knowledge is out there, and I’m sure you can find a well-written piece by someone that knows more than me on the subject.

Or the engine was built incorrectly and the tolerances weren't correctly built into the engine from the start and that tolerance stacking will lead to catastrophic failure as well. In the case of an AR-15 this kind of Tolerance stacking would be due to incorrect. Milled parts.

No. That is not tolerance stacking.

Having enough play for the BCG to hit the lower receiver extension(under any circumstance) is not proper function in my opinion. Maybe that's the difference. I didn't misunderstand a single thing you said.

And your people skills are lacking. Good thing you're a good gunsmith.

I have excellent people skills when I care to use them. Ask anyone that has ever trained with me how personable I can be.

I only have a finite well of patience and politeness. I chose to expend it on those that deserve it.

I have excellent people skills when I care to use them. Ask anyone that has ever trained with me how personable I can be.

I only have a finite well of patience and politeness. I chose to expend it on those that deserve it.

People are nice to me when I'm paying them also. Once again, I listened to everything you said, like always. I just didn't agree.

Having enough play for the BCG to hit the lower receiver extension(under any circumstance) is not proper function in my opinion. Maybe that's the difference. I didn't misunderstand a single thing you said.

And your people skills are lacking. Good thing you're a good gunsmith.

I never said that the rifle in question was within spec or “proper”. I stated that it functioned properly without the wedge, and did not function properly with the wedge.

You can’t have an opinion on proper function with the AR. There are recognized tests that are used industry-wide by the manufacturers, Armorers, military, etc. to function test an AR/M16. If the firearm in question pasts those tests, then it functions properly. It doesn’t mean that the rifle is overall “good to go”, or that it should be issued out to troops, it only means that it functions properly.

There are 8 stages to the cycle of operations. If the AR goes through all 8 stages properly, over and over again, then it functions properly. That’s a fact, and it didn’t come from me. It came from Eugene Stoner, then on down through Colt, Armalite, KAC, SOLGW, SOTAR, etc.

An M16 with the front site cut off, handguards missing, and most of the pistol grip cut off will function properly. That means that it exhibits all 8 stages in the cycle of operations properly. In short, it goes bangs, kicks out the empty casing, picks up a new round, and goes bang again…..over and over and over until you stop feeding it ammo.

The M16 I just described isn’t something you would want to issue out to anyone, but it live fire function tests properly.

In the case of the AR that I have described ad nauseam, it functioned properly during live fire. An Accu-Wedge was added and it would fail during every single round fired, always during the EXTRACTION / EJECTION / COCKING / FEEDING stages. Remove the Accu-Wedge, the AR once again functioned properly, and did so for the rest of the day.

Tolerance stacking is the lack of built-in tolerances. At least we all agree on that.

No.

The simplest version is you have a part that is within specs, but it’s on the low end of the spec. You mate it with another part that is within spec, but it is within the high end of the spec. If they don’t want to work together as an assembly as they are required to do, then it can be because of tolerance stacking, even though they are both within manufacturer’s specs.

Back
Top Bottom