• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Anyone ever seen this?

No.

The simplest version is you have a part that is within specs, but it’s on the low end of the spec. You mate it with another part that is within spec, but it is within the high end of the spec. If they don’t want to work together as an assembly as they are required to do, then it can be because of tolerance stacking, even though they are both within manufacturer’s specs.
This is exactly what tolerance stacking is and can go wrong in an engine. If a crankshaft is growned and Polished and each Journal is at a different spec. When you install the crankshaft bearings and the tolerances are as you say all over the map this can be disastrous to an engine. It can lead to low oil pressure If close attention is not paid to the specs on the crankshaft when machined. That's why when I install a crankshaft I use a dial indicator and measure each Journal before the installation process begins. If the crankshaft range is erratic then I have it redone to a closer spec.Then measure the Journals again and average the measurements. I also install the bearings after torqueing the caps without the crankshaft and then using inside micrometer to measure the spec of each each Journal bearing and rod bearing. Then I Average the measurements all out together and find the middle of the road of all the measurements. Then I rearrange bearing halves until I get all the bearings as close to that average measurement as possible. If this is not done that's what leads to low oil pressure and that is tolerance stacking when you just throw everything together and don't use a micrometer or dial indicator on each measurement and pay close attention to what bearing goes to what main Journal or Rod Journal. Some journals at high end and some at low end equals low oil pressure on a HP engine. Same can be seen with installation of piston rings in a high HP application of nitrous.

Better under than over!
absolutely. I wish they would come out with barrels that are drilled at the bare minimum to make a hole, but let me choose the size of the gas port depending on what I am going to use the barrel for. One of the reasons almost all of my SBRs have barrels that started life as 16" barrels is often while over-gassed for a carbine, they are close to being right for a 10.3,10.5,11.5, etc when using a suppressor.

Funny though, with every barrel I have cut down for a suppressed SBR, only one of them required opening the gas port more and even it was close enough it probably would have been fine with a can attached.

I found buying factory shorty barrels they were all so over gassed it would spend hundreds of dollars trying to tame it down and still get blasted in the face.

I wouldn’t use WC as a shining example of how to build a lower receiver. I’ve had to send quite a few WC lowers back for replacement, for such issues as the pocket for the magazine release is grossly undersized so that you can’t install the mag release. Simple stuff like that.

They have that rubber piece in the lower because there are misinformed folks out there that want them. WC is in business to make money, so they sell what people want.

Colt used to put an Accu-Wedge in certain rifles. They don’t use them anymore. They also don’t use collet barrel bushings in their 1911’s anymore. Just because they did it at one time doesn’t mean that it’s a good thing.

When I build on a WC lower, or sell one to someone, I point out the rubber piece, tell them what it’s for, give them my professional opinion on it, and let them choose what they do with it. It’s their lower/group/gun, and their money.

In the 90s Wilson Combat was marketing a mec-tech 1911 rifle conversion as "Wilson Combat". My dad bought one thinking he was buying a quality product. It was a total piece of crap, stock out of alignment, would randomly go full auto, in a word, garbage.

That started my hatred for their products that weren't 1911s or 870s and even those I am meh about. Currently, their 1911 magazines are the only product they sell with their name on it that interests me in the slightest.

Building a AR15 I consider childs play. Having an attitude at building them is petty and childish. Building them and diagnosing them is easy. There is only one way to put together. Right or wrong. I taught myself years ago to build them one a day. Proper parts selection and personal preference came with a little more time. Since day one I have never had to take my guns to someone to diagnose a problem.

It has taken me a lifetime to gather knowledge of gas engines, diesel, two stroke ( motorcycle and boat ) and small lawn care equipment, hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical, appliance, air con, carburetors and much more. I still try and stay humble and teach anybody willing to listen, watch and learn. I don't ever come down hard on someone that doesn't see things my way. Correcting or teaching someone is like teachers you either hated or loved in school. They got the job done and were cool about it. Anything other than that is just assholish. No ifs, ands or buts. That's just a massive character flaw. PERIOD! Especially when dealing with something as simple as a AR15.

There are plenty of members that have built their own AR's and the function perfectly and have done so for years. They won't dare say a word in fear of being rebuked by the high and mighty. I don't blame them. Just like in high school this site has its clicks. They can be brutal. Childish but brutal.

Building a AR15 I consider childs play. Having an attitude at building them is petty and childish. Building them and diagnosing them is easy. There is only one way to put together. Right or wrong. I taught myself years ago to build them one a day. Proper parts selection and personal preference came with a little more time. Since day one I have never had to take my guns to someone to diagnose a problem.

It has taken me a lifetime to gather knowledge of gas engines, diesel, two stroke ( motorcycle and boat ) and small lawn care equipment, hydraulic, pneumatic, electrical, appliance, air con, carburetors and much more. I still try and stay humble and teach anybody willing to listen, watch and learn. I don't ever come down hard on someone that doesn't see things my way. Correcting or teaching someone is like teachers you either hated or loved in school. They got the job done and were cool about it. Anything other than that is just assholish. No ifs, ands or buts. That's just a massive character flaw. PERIOD! Especially when dealing with something as simple as a AR15.

There are plenty of members that have built their own AR's and the function perfectly and have done so for years. They won't dare say a word in fear of being rebuked by the high and mighty. I don't blame them. Just like in high school this site has its clicks. They can be brutal. Childish but brutal.
I don’t think it’s as malicious as the picture you paint.

Sometimes you say stupid **** and people call you out on it.

Building an AR-15 is easy, yet people manage to **** it up all the time. It’s a life saving tool for a lot of people. Building it right has real stakes.

Because people put unfounded bad information out there, others in the know might feel inclined to correct you to set the record straight for the sake of those who might have to use their equipment.

To me it sounds like you’ve gotten your ass chapped because you keep barking up this tree and poking the bear.

Back
Top Bottom